qcow2 Windows 10 File won't boot

wmse7en

Jul 11, 2024
Hello all, I am very new to proxmox. I Took an acronis .tibx of my physical system I'd like to virtualize. Converted the tib to a VHDX, then converted the VHDX with Starwind V2V to a .qcow2
I uploaded it to my Proxmox server and used {qm importdisk} command to add as a disk to my VM ID 100

No matter what I change it won't seem to boot, I know at least the TIB was good beecause I wrote it to a new drive and it works fine.

Errors I'm getting:
Failed to load Boot0001 "EUFI QEMU HARDDISK QM0005": Not Found
Failed to start Boot0002 "EFI Internal Shell"

I assume this has something to do with the required EFI Disk that you have to add when you select UEFI bios.

I have done fresh installs of windows 10 to test VM's and messed with the settings and never had issues but I cannot seem to either use Acronis True Image (iso) and point it to my NAS and restore a tib without it curropting windows and getting BSOD's
so I tried this method of converting to a .qcow2 and it won't boot.
What am I doing wrong. There has to be an easier way of doing this.

SCSI Controller: VirtlIO SCSI
OVMR (UEFI) i tried with and without secure boot
Processor is host
Machine is Default (i440fx) version 5.1

My hard disk settings
Cache: No cache
ssd emulation: off
Discard: not checked
Sata interface

Help

check "BIOS Mode" within Windows VM source from msinfo32.exe
"Legacy" require SeaBIOS in Hardware section of VM of PVE.
"UEFI" require OVMF (UEFI) in Hardware section of VM of PVE.

FYI, the small additionnel EFI disk, that PVE want, isn't for the VM boot itself, it's just for storing BIOS EFI VM related settings and Secure Boot enroll keys.

I double checked. It is UEFI BIOS Mode. What should I try to do differently to migrate a live OS to a VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!