[SOLVED] q35 vs i440fx

oah433

Apr 8, 2021
Hi
I am trying to understand when should I choose the machine-type to "Q35 vs i440fx", I understand that Q35 supports PCIe so I can do GPU passthrough but what about the i440fx, is the Q35 is that superior why do we still have it?
For my setup where I have bunch of VMs running apache + MySQL on some and Nginx +MongoDB on the others which machine type should I use and does it really matter?
Thx

i'd say for "most" vms it does not really matter, since nearly all of the functionality of the chipset/platform is virtual anyway. if you need some features from a newer platform (like pcie) i'd choose q35, but
else there is not much reason to choose it over i440fx

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!