PXE install

Kan

Dec 21, 2016
Hello,

Does is exist a good tutorial to get files to put in a PXE server ?

Yes I tried but I encounter an error I can't fix.

#########################################################################################################
# Create PXE bootable Proxmox image including ISO #
# #
# Author: mrballcb @ Proxmox Forum (06-12-2012) #
# Thread: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/8484-Proxmox-installation-via-PXE-solution?p=55985#post55985 #
# Modified: morph027 @ Proxmox Forum (23-02-2015) to work with 3.4 #
#########################################################################################################
./pve-iso-2-pxe.sh: line 19: pushd: proxmox-ve_4.4-eb2d6f1e-2.iso: Not a directory
Using proxmox-ve_4.4-eb2d6f1e-2.iso...
Mounting iso image...
mount: mnt/: mount failed: Unknown error -1
Failed to mount iso image, aborting.

Last edited:
Did you start it using sudo ?

Yes with or without sudo the error message is the same. I tried to download another proxmox-ve_4.4-eb2d6f1e-2.iso (in case the file is corrupt) but no luck.

I can't mount the proxmox-ve_4.4-eb2d6f1e-2.iso even outside the script.

Can someone post somewhere the files ready to use ?

Hm, works for me...

Code:
$ cd /tmp
$ git clone https://github.com/morph027/pve-iso-2-pxe
Cloning into 'pve-iso-2-pxe'...
remote: Counting objects: 41, done.
remote: Total 41 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 41
Unpacking objects: 100% (41/41), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
$ cd pve-iso-2-pxe/
$ cp ~/Downloads/proxmox-ve_4.4-eb2d6f1e-2.iso .
$ sudo ./pve-iso-2-pxe.sh .
[sudo] password for ########:

# Create PXE bootable Proxmox image including ISO                                                       #
#                                                                                                       #
# Author: mrballcb @ Proxmox Forum (06-12-2012)                                                         #
# Thread: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/8484-Proxmox-installation-via-PXE-solution?p=55985#post55985 #
# Modified: morph027 @ Proxmox Forum (23-02-2015) to work with 3.4                                      #

Using proxmox-ve_4.4-eb2d6f1e-2.iso...
Mounting iso image...
copying kernel...
copying initrd...
Unmounted iso, extracting contents of initrd...
Added iso, creating and compressing the new initrd...
/tmp/pve-iso-2-pxe/pxeboot /tmp/pve-iso-2-pxe /tmp/pve-iso-2-pxe
Cleaning up temp files...
Done! Look in /tmp/pve-iso-2-pxe/pxeboot for pxeboot files.
/tmp/pve-iso-2-pxe /tmp/pve-iso-2-pxe
/tmp/pve-iso-2-pxe

It seems that it's impossible to mount proxmox iso inside a lxc container. I could use the script on a debian host machine.

Yes, you cannot mount stuff due to security limitations. Best to use KVM-based virtualization for any kind of mount-stuff - also dab for creating updated/new lxc templates does not work inside of lxc (at least in the past)

Reactions: shantanu and Kan

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!