[TUTORIAL] pvesm status & not using device. SOLVED!

Tamadite

May 20, 2022
This post is to help any other newbie that would get caught on the same issue:
Bash:
root@proxmox:/etc/pve/lxc# pvesm status
  WARNING: Not using device /dev/sde for PV I7e3KX-x8no-GALU-o3E4-sbU8-WWQ0-dpsbxW.
  WARNING: Not using device /dev/sdi for PV QRaN0J-ETeH-IYCc-MwJK-2lxF-wD4n-DlCvwx.
  WARNING: PV I7e3KX-x8no-GALU-o3E4-sbU8-WWQ0-dpsbxW prefers device /dev/sdb because device was seen first.
  WARNING: PV QRaN0J-ETeH-IYCc-MwJK-2lxF-wD4n-DlCvwx prefers device /dev/sdf because device is used by LV.
  WARNING: Not using device /dev/sde for PV I7e3KX-x8no-GALU-o3E4-sbU8-WWQ0-dpsbxW.
  WARNING: Not using device /dev/sdi for PV QRaN0J-ETeH-IYCc-MwJK-2lxF-wD4n-DlCvwx.
  WARNING: PV I7e3KX-x8no-GALU-o3E4-sbU8-WWQ0-dpsbxW prefers device /dev/sdb because device was seen first.
  WARNING: PV QRaN0J-ETeH-IYCc-MwJK-2lxF-wD4n-DlCvwx prefers device /dev/sdf because device is used by LV.
Name             Type     Status           Total            Used       Available        %
local             dir     active        30271428        27566316         1142080   91.06%
local-lvm     lvmthin     active        68669440        18630019        50039420   27.13%

To get rid of those warnings make use of fdisk following the device, then type w (write) and then exit with q. For instance:
Bash:
root@proxmox:/etc/pve/lxc# fdisk /dev/sde

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.36.1).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.

The device contains 'LVM2_member' signature and it will be removed by a write command. See fdisk(8) man page and --wipe option for more details.

Device does not contain a recognized partition table.
Created a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0x7f7c495e.

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered.
Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
Syncing disks.

Great! Please mark the thread as tutorial (edit it, there's a dropdown near the title) so others with the same problem can find it more easily.

Unless you had a Raid1 mirror that you broke, it appears that your system sees the same disk via two paths, wouldn't a more appropriate solution be to configure multipath?
I recommend not wiping signatures on disks without fully understanding the underlying cause of the warning...

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Unless you had a Raid1 mirror that you broke, it appears that your system sees the same disk via two paths, wouldn't a more appropriate solution be to configure multipath?
I recommend not wiping signatures on disks without fully understanding the underlying cause of the warning...

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
I got into this while getting acquaintance with iSCSI storage and multipath however, once I wiped all I could via the GUI I was still getting those warnings.

I got into this while getting acquaintance with iSCSI storage and multipath however, once I wiped all I could via the GUI I was still getting those warnings.
Its unclear what you wiped and which GUI you are referring to, but if you had one disk presented via multiple paths to the host - erasing label/signature/data via one path will destroy the access to disk via the other, obviously. Probably OK if you are "getting acquainted" but not for anything of value.

Reproduction of the situation:

1) No iSCSI configuration
noiscsi.jpg
noiscsi_pvesm.jpg

2) iSCSI configuration
iscsi.jpg
iscsi_pvesm.jpg

3) Try to create LVM but fails

lvm_error.jpg
pvesm_warning.jpg
iscsi.jpg
4) Remove testscsi (iSCSI)
noiscsi.jpg
pvesm_warning_woiscsi.jpg
lsblk.jpg

Exactly, you got the point! When one commits a mistake and leaves a mess behind...
BTW, execute command echo 1 > /sys/block/device-name/device/delete where device-name may be sde, for example to delete orphan devices.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!