PVEPERF: Low FYSNCS/SECOND on striped LV on LVM

deranjer

Dec 28, 2010
Question on performance

I was getting high IO times on my single HDD disk so starting looking into speeding things up.

I realized the drive I was using was pretty old, and was using SATA II.

I found two SATAIII 256GB drives and hooked them up, and created a NEW LVM with those drives and created a VG on it called pve_stripe.

I created a striped LV on that and called it "data" and the copied the current /var/lib/vz data onto it. I then unmounted the old /pve/data device and mounted the new /pve_stripe/data device on /var/lib/vz

Block size:
#blockdev --getbsz /dev/pve_stripe/data

My fstab:
/dev/pve/root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/pve_stripe/data /var/lib/vz ext4 defaults 0 1
/dev/pve_stripe/swap none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

Now I have "swap" and "data" on the pve_strip VG, and my buffered reads are better than they were.

root@pve:~# pveperf /var/lib/vz
CPU BOGOMIPS: 56001.20
REGEX/SECOND: 1698144
HD SIZE: 393.60 GB (/dev/mapper/pve_stripe-data)
BUFFERED READS: 244.28 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 15.46 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 52.98
DNS EXT: 85.53 ms
DNS INT: 66.31 ms

However, my FYNCS/SECOND are extremely low. Is there any way to get my FSYNC speed up? When just running 3 of my lxc containers on "normal" load, I have an IO delay of about 15-20%. I assume this is because of the FSYNCS?

Well, nobody on that link seems to have a firm answer to this. Not sure how to proceed on this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!