pvecm status: Activity blocked

EL26389

Apr 13, 2016
Hello,

Proxmox VE on 2 servers 4.1 in a brandnew cluster config:

pvecm create
pvecm addnode

worked. I saw 2 servers in the GUI for a couple of minutes.

pvecm status
showed "Quorate".

Next time I entered the GUI, one light was red and

pvecm status

showed "Activity blocked". One node disappeared.

Solution: The 2 servers communicated over vmbr0. The interfaces have to run in promiscuous mode.
On both servers enter:
ip link set vmbr0 promisc on

after which the 2 servers could see each other again.

This could be set in /etc/network/interfaces, but this seems to be of little use, as this file is overwritten by proxmox.

Perhaps an additional checkbox "Promiscuous mode" in the network configuration page of the Proxmox-GUI could help?

Greetings
Michael

The 2 servers communicated over vmbr0. The interfaces have to run in promiscuous mode.
strange, never needed that before. anything special in the setup?

This could be set in /etc/network/interfaces, but this seems to be of little use, as this file is overwritten by proxmox.
If you do not change the network settings of the node via gui it isn't, I, for example, have wake on lan tags and other specific stuff which mas manually added there which all survive reboot.

And as my network cfg remains quite stable this is an good option for me, further for the hosts network setting I prefer directly editing /etc/network/interfaces but that's only personal preference. :)

strange, never needed that before. anything special in the setup?

Not really. I use a SG300-52 switch with firmware 1.4.1.3 (just in case, it might make a difference).
omping fails multicast after about 5 minutes.

With ip up link vmbr0 set promisc on/off I can switch the red/green light in the GUI almost without delay (also true for pvecm status, where "Activity blocked" and "Quorate") can be switched almost instantaneously.

If you do not change the network settings of the node via gui it isn't, I, for example, have wake on lan tags and other specific stuff which mas manually added there which all survive reboot.

I know. The problem is, that one (that means: I) may forget it and make a configuration change in the future.

And as my network cfg remains quite stable this is an good option for me, further for the hosts network setting I prefer directly editing /etc/network/interfaces but that's only personal preference. :)

This might be OK, too: Let the GUI just make proposals, but let the /etc/network/interfaces alone?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!