[SOLVED] pveceph createosd not creating any OSD

wahmed

Famous Member
Oct 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
www.symmcom.com
Hello,
Having a new issue never had before. I am using the following the command to create an OSD in a newly deployed Ceph cluster. The command finishes successfully but there is no OSD created or even assigned any number to OSD. The OSD directory under /var/lib/ceph is empty:

#pveceph createosd /dev/sda

The MONs are up and running in Quorum. It does not matter which HDD I use to use the command, no OSDs are being created. The Proxmox is up to date with the latest 5.2. I have created several Ceph clusters from small to medium size with well over 5000 OSDs and most are still in operation but never had this issue. But those clusters were deployed many many months ago using same pveceph command.

I may have found a solution to this OSD issue.

All the drives that I am trying to use as OSD were part of a ZFS cluster previously. Even though they were all formatted it looks like I need some additional steps to make them usable as OSD. There may be better solution, but this is what worked for me:

1. ZAP the drives using #pveceph zap /dev/sdX
2. Prepare the drives using #pveceph prepare --bluestore /dev/sdX
3. Then ZAP the drive again using #pveceph zap /dev/sdX.

Zapping second time should show lines of msg like the attached image which shows the drives were zfs member. After this steps the drives can be added as OSD from GUI without issue. You may need to zap/prepare more than once till you see the zfs member lines.

Attachments

• pmx-ceph.JPG
    pmx-ceph.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 19

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!