PVE7.3 Install hangs at DHCP

NCSyFry

Dec 7, 2022
Hi gang,

I'm installing on a Dell R730xd after I've successfully installed on two R630's, and the installer hangs or otherwise just seems to stop after "attempting to get DHCP leases", I know this isn't a DHCP problem as the cables are unplugged, and the other two server installed just fine. And I've tried to set some grub boot parameters for pci=prealloc=off, and nomodeset mgag200.modset=0 etc... but they don't have any affect.

Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 2.07.59 PM.png

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

I got the same error on r630.
Anyone can help us debug this?

PM 7.2 does not work as well, while 6 works just fine and installs.

It seems related to kernels newer than 5.4. With 5.4 we can use PM7, but with later we can not.
It is dell r630 server. I think there might be some threads about this on his forum, will report back if, i find a solution in them, but so far nothing has helped.

There are now at least some r730xd and r630 DELL servers, that PM 7 does not work on (PM 6 does).
Can any of the PM devs comment on this thread?
@t.lamprecht ?

I went with a Windows hyper-v cluster with S2D storage because I couldn't get PM installed on the DellR730 - I would have rather used PM ;-)

I had the exact same issue with my R720xd whereby the installer would sit with the above error.
I tried installing Debian 12 and the installer couldn't locate the NIC.

To get it working I had to update the firmware on the NIC via the Lifecycle Controller.
Getting these drivers from Dell was a nightmare and I came across the following site which was a great help on getting the server updated.
https://updateyodell.net

Hope this helps.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!