pve6to7 is not present anywhere in PATH

left4pve

Jul 12, 2021
Hi there. I'm in the process of updating my PVE to 7.0. However I can't find `pve6to7` in the PATH.

Bash:
root@proxmox:~# pveversion
pve-manager/6.4-4/337d6701 (running kernel: 5.4.106-1-pve)

root@proxmox:~# echo $PATH
/root/acme.sh-master:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

root@proxmox:~# pve6to7 --help
-bash: pve6to7: command not found

Is there a way to download the script? Thanks.

Hi there. I'm in the process of updating my PVE to 7.0. However I can't find `pve6to7` in the PATH.

Bash:
root@proxmox:~# pveversion
pve-manager/6.4-4/337d6701 (running kernel: 5.4.106-1-pve)

root@proxmox:~# echo $PATH
/root/acme.sh-master:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

root@proxmox:~# pve6to7 --help
-bash: pve6to7: command not found

Is there a way to download the script? Thanks.
Your version is too old
should be
pve-manager/6.4-9/5f5c0e3f (running kernel: 5.4.119-1-pve)

do you have upgrade to last v6 packages versions first ?
I didn't do that since it's a fresh install on July 2nd. I was under the assumption that the PVE installer image I downloaded from https://www.proxmox.com/en/downloads was up to date, which might not be the case for some mysterious reasons. Can't remember what went wrong.
Update: running `apt dist-upgrade` before `pve6to7` fixed the problem. I guess I was too optimistic about the version.

You got
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian buster pve-no-subscription
in your
nano /etc/apt/sources.list
?
Yes that's correct. Should I install anything from that repo first?

Your version is too old
should be
pve-manager/6.4-9/5f5c0e3f (running kernel: 5.4.119-1-pve)
Thanks. I'll see update to 6.4-9. But before that I need to figure out why the "fresh install" I did on July 2nd was already old. Maybe that leads to a bigger problem.

Last edited:
The upgrade how-to mentions quite clearly that you need update to latest 6.4 first:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0#Preconditions

I didn't do that since it's a fresh install on July 2nd. I was under the assumption that the PVE installer image I downloaded from https://www.proxmox.com/en/downloads was up to date, which might not be the case for some mysterious reasons. Can't remember what went wrong.
The ISO is a stable point release, basically the earliest 6.4 release (in this case), which was made three months ago:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#Proxmox_VE_6.4
So, plenty of updates happened in between, and then the checker script could not exist as:
1. we wouldn't even know what to check for yet
2. I try to delay adding it to the 6.4 release for exactly that reason, it helps to ensure that the people reading the how-to actually update to the latest updates (with also more checks) available.

FYI: The point releases are done to summarize bug & security fixes and showcase new features, but there are always updates released afterwards. We do not rebuild the ISO every day, or even on every package update, as that would be wasted work to always retest and verify the whole installation on dozens of our testlab servers, rather, users must do regular updates anyway to run a safe and stable system (they cannot re-install every day from the ISO).

Last edited:
The upgrade how-to mentions quite clearly that you need update to latest 6.4 first:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0#Preconditions

The ISO is a stable point release, basically the earliest 6.4 release (in this case), which was made three months ago:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#Proxmox_VE_6.4
So, plenty of updates happened in between, and then the checker script could not exist as:
1. we wouldn't even know what to check for yet
2. I try to delay adding it to the 6.4 release for exactly that reason, it helps to ensure that the people reading the how-to actually update to the latest updates (with also more checks) available.

FYI: The point releases are done to summarize bug & security fixes and showcase new features, but there are always updates released afterwards. We do not rebuild the ISO every day, or even on every update, would be wasted work to always retest and verify the whole installation on dozens of our testlab servers, rather, users must do regular updates anyway to run a safe and stable system (they cannot re-install every day from the ISO).
Got it. In my company we have a CI job that updates the release download page for every release even including the rc ones. That's why I held the wrong assumption that the PVE ISO I downloaded was also up to date. Thanks for the demystifying.

Yes that's correct. Should I install anything from that repo first?
Well, without that line every apt update && apt dist-upgrade doesn't try to update anything proxmox related, no wonder you don't have the "pve6to7".

On your last post, I saw that you're working in a company, so you probably should ask the person who deleted that line because he intended to stop those updates (for a reason).

Well, without that line every apt update && apt dist-upgrade doesn't try to update anything proxmox related, no wonder you don't have the "pve6to7".

On your last post, I saw that you're working in a company, so you probably should ask the person who deleted that line because he intended to stop those updates (for a reason).
I do have that line in apt, just don't know what to install from it.

I guess it's different workflow. Our CI pipeline also produces nightly docker images that are always up to date (or pinned at a certain version) so all we need to do is to restart the docker container(if needed) to get new stuffs. We are probably all spoiled by this convenience.

just don't know what to install from it.
Well If you do want to upgrade to 7.x then one precondition (Proxmox Docs) is:
Upgraded to the latest version of Proxmox VE 6.4
With other words, you want to update everything to the latest 6.4 version and then upgrade to 7.x

I think they got that, they just thought that the ISO gets re-generated with most recent 6.4 more often, and as they were already using the latest available 6.4 ISO that precondition was deemed to be "ticked off".

But from left4pve "Got it" reply to my explanation about how the ISO releases are done, it seems that this is now all cleared up, and this thread is solved and does not require further replies or explanations; at least from my POV.

Reactions: Toku

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!