PVE6 cluster creation procedure

dendi

Renowned Member
Nov 17, 2011
I'm just trying PVE6 (just updated from pvetest) on three test vps
I added a network with private address for corosync
created the cluster on the private address in the first node
joining the second node using private address I got time outs but the node is in the cluster :)
same for the third node
the private address is not in the etc/hosts file, is this required?
Anyway it seem to work!

Sorry for writing again, the cluster is working but someone can confirm that there is no need to add the ring address in the /etc/hosts files with PVE6?

Sorry for writing again, the cluster is working but someone can confirm that there is no need to add the ring address in the /etc/hosts files with PVE6?

No normally not. We now try to resolve a hostname and thus the address should already be in corosync.conf, you could check yourself:
Code:
cat /etc/pve/corosync.conf

joining the second node using private address I got time outs but the node is in the cluster :)

If you did this over the Web GUI it is normally to see timeout's after a bit for, the reason for this is that the node which joins the cluster needs to regenerate it's node TLS certificate, so that it comes from the same cluster root CA the other existing cluster nodes use (and thus they all can trust each other).

No normally not. We now try to resolve a hostname and thus the address should already be in corosync.conf, you could check yourself:
Code:
cat /etc/pve/corosync.conf

Thank you! I see this:

Code:
  node {
    name: p6t1
    nodeid: 1
    quorum_votes: 1
    ring0_addr: 10.7.96.3
  }

If I ping p6t1 it resolves the public IP, not the private 10.7.96.3, correct?

If you did this over the Web GUI it is normally to see timeout's after a bit for, the reason for this is that the node which joins the cluster needs to regenerate it's node TLS certificate, so that it comes from the same cluster root CA the other existing cluster nodes use (and thus they all can trust each other).

It's fine but for not skilled user I think it's better to show a warning message before joining a cluster... I missed it? :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!