PVE + ZFS on HP gen9/10 experiences

Pavel Hruška

May 1, 2018
Hello all, I wanted to ask here for your experiences running PVE with local storage using ZFS on HP gen9 or gen10 servers. In near future i am planning to deploy two PVE installs on such two servers. I plan to use RAID1 (mirror) for boot drives and RAID6 (RAIDZ2) for data drives.

I'm familiar with all the basics about ZFS and best practices, such as switching controller to HBA or IT mode.

What i'm interested in is how it behaves in practice such as when hard drive fails. Am I able to see it on front of the server as usual so I know which hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced?

On the other hand, has anybody experience running PVE on hardware enabled RAID with HP controllers for example using LVM on top of it? I'm not sure how the storage manager can be accessed to handle diagnostics, configuration changes or hard drive replacements without restarting the server and going to BIOS. Do I need to use Linux version of storage manager that is available (as far as I know)? Or is it even possible?

Thank you!

Hi

What i'm interested in is how it behaves in practice such as when hard drive fails. Am I able to see it on front of the server as usual so I know which hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced?
You can use ledmon do mark the drives.

On the other hand, has anybody experience running PVE on hardware enabled RAID with HP controllers for example using LVM on top of it? I'm not sure how the storage manager can be accessed to handle diagnostics, configuration changes or hard drive replacements without restarting the server and going to BIOS. Do I need to use Linux version of storage manager that is available (as far as I know)? Or is it even possible?
I don't know this HP related software. The only thing that I can tell is that HP was in the past not very Debian friendly.

The only thing that I can tell is that HP was in the past not very Debian friendly.

I'm running PVE on Gen8 (DL360) servers, without any problems for now, but on SAS shared storage (thus not local), should I be worried about PVE on Gen9/Gen10, in general?

Hi Pavel Hruška

You quoted my statement wrong.
I said HP Linux software is not Debian friendly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!