[SOLVED] PVE update. Reboot always required?

Thomas Plant

Mar 28, 2018
Hello,

I have a doubt. Do I need to reboot the PVE hosts on every update, or only when there is a new kernel?
For example now I have the following Updates waiting:

libproxmox-backup-qemu0/stable 1.0.3-1 amd64 [upgradable from: 1.0.2-1] libpve-storage-perl/stable 6.3-8 all [upgradable from: 6.3-7] proxmox-backup-client/stable 1.1.1-1 amd64 [upgradable from: 1.0.13-1] pve-i18n/stable 2.3-1 all [upgradable from: 2.2-2] pve-qemu-kvm/stable 5.2.0-5 amd64 [upgradable from: 5.1.0-8] qemu-server/stable 6.3-10 amd64 [upgradable from: 6.3-8]

We installed a new Proxmox Backup Server, and I think updating to the latest backup-client should be useful.
That a running VM to use the new Qemu should be moved or stopped/started is clear to me. But is it safe to just update the host and let the VMs running?

Thanks,
Thomas

hi,
Do I need to reboot the PVE hosts on every update, or only when there is a new kernel?
you should reboot when the kernel is upgraded. other package upgrades will usually cause a daemon reload/restart.

That a running VM to use the new Qemu should be moved or stopped/started is clear to me. But is it safe to just update the host and let the VMs running?
it's safe to update the host and leave VMs running.

Hi,
what about pve-firmware? This update ssems to cause changes on the kernel?

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.15.74-1-pve

Install needrestart package and you will be informed about which services need to restart.

Install needrestart package and you will be informed about which services need to restart.
Yes!
Please note that watchdog-mux.service might be flagged to get restarted. This is a) usually not necessary and b) will restart that node without further notice.

Been there, done that ;-)

@ISimic & @UdoB so I get an explicit message from apt if I have to restart the server in order to apply the update, otherwise it's not required?

Actually I use exclusively the command line for updates and I call needrestart manually. Not sure what "apt full-upgrade" lists if I omit needrestart. (Probably nothing - if it would then needrestart would not be necessary.) Just try it!

Edit, added: just as an example - but without any output regarding services to restart:
Code:
apt full-upgrade 2>&1 | tee -a /var/log/apt/apt_$(date +%F).log && apt --purge autoremove && apt clean && needrestart -rl -l

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Calculating upgrade...
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Scanning processes...                                                                                                                                                         

No services need to be restarted.

No containers need to be restarted.

No user sessions are running outdated binaries.
Note that my example does not report required reboots, see man needrestart....

Last edited:
Reactions: piepmax
Actually I use exclusively the command line for updates and I call needrestart manually. Not sure what "apt full-upgrade" lists if I omit needrestart. (Probably nothing - if it would then needrestart would not be necessary.) Just try it!

Edit, added: just as an example - but without any output regarding services to restart:
Code:
apt full-upgrade 2>&1 | tee -a /var/log/apt/apt_$(date +%F).log && apt --purge autoremove && apt clean && needrestart -rl -l

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Calculating upgrade...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Scanning processes...                                                                                                                                                        

No services need to be restarted.

No containers need to be restarted.

No user sessions are running outdated binaries.
Note that my example does not report required reboots, see man needrestart....
Very interesting tool! I'll give it a try!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!