PVE local space

Taleya

Aug 9, 2023
I'm a complete noob playing with proxmox, but I got it up and running except it's now saying the local (pve) is using 91.99% of 100gb (this is due to backups, which is fine). How do I resize this volume? I can't see it defined on the lsblk, and the Disks segment in the GUI just shows the BIOS/EFI/LVM partitions

The storage on this unit is a 1.2TB RAID of 300gb SAS drives, so both the VMS (2) and the PVE itself are all on LVM. I have plenty of space to expand into, I just can't find the PVE root to expand! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
You should be able to use lvextend to extend the root partition (found under /dev/pve/root). You could consider creating a separate LV to store the backups.

In general though it is recommended not to store backups on the same disk / machine, as this kinda defeats the purpose of taking backups.

You should be able to use lvextend to extend the root partition (found under /dev/pve/root). You could consider creating a separate LV to store the backups.

In general though it is recommended not to store backups on the same disk / machine, as this kinda defeats the purpose of taking backups.
yeah they're going offsite - the plan is 3w on system for handy reach (rollback), cron copied to an external USB drive as well as a separate file server.

Awesome, thanks for that. I didn't realise LVextend worked that way with proxmox. Will give a burl later today (after copying off the backups juuust in case....)

Reactions: shanreich
You should be able to use lvextend to extend the root partition (found under /dev/pve/root).

Sorry, more pestery questions - looking at the LVS I have some concerns, how would I proceed from here?

DATA is occupying the bulk of the hdd - do I need to resize this down to clear room for root to extend into?

root@pve:/# lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
data pve twi-aotz-- <975.10g 17.85 0.78
root pve -wi-ao---- 96.00g
swap pve -wi-ao---- 8.00g
vm-101-disk-0 pve Vwi-aotz-- 32.00g data 83.31
vm-102-disk-0 pve Vwi-aotz-- 200.00g data 23.68

Since data is a LVM thin-pool you cannot shrink it sadly. You would need to check how much space is left on the PV, this is the amount of space you could still add to your root LV. Alternatively you could create a new LV on your thin pool and mount it to wherever you want some additional space.

Since data is a LVM thin-pool you cannot shrink it sadly. You would need to check how much space is left on the PV, this is the amount of space you could still add to your root LV. Alternatively you could create a new LV on your thin pool and mount it to wherever you want some additional space.
hmm.The LVM is all on a single raid (515 system) There's only 15.99gb unallocated showing on vgs, which is not enough for use - can you explain to me how I'd create the new LV and mount it to the root?

You should be able to just create a a LV on your thin pool like so:
Code:
lvcreate --thinpool pve/data --name test --virtualsize 1G

Then you need to create a filesystem on that LV (e.g. ext4):
Code:
mkfs.ext4 /dev/pve/test

Then you should be able to automatically mount it on boot by creating an fstab entry. For that you need the UUID of the LV:
Code:
lsblk -o +FSTYPE,UUID /dev/pve/test

Then you can create the respective fstab entry so it gets mounted automatically at boot, by using the UUID from the command above (make sure that you use >> !!!!):
Code:
 echo 'UUID=d8871cd7-11b1-4f75-8cb6-254a6120 /mnt/test    ext4    defaults 0   2' >> /etc/fstab

Then create a mountpoint:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/test

Then you should be able to mount it:
Code:
mount /mnt/test

You can also add it as directory storage to PVE directly, so you can use it then:
Code:
pvesm add dir test --path /mnt/test --content backup

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!