PVE Host disconnects from network when using 2 VLANs

eduardoll

Feb 6, 2021
Hey Guys, I'm facing an inssue in my PVE Host that I cant find any clue to find root case. When I turn VM ID 101, after a while PVE Host disconnects from the Network and I have to unplug/plug network cable in order to bring it back to the network.

It is a home environment running on a Mini PC with 2 VMs for now (Home Assistant, Ubuntu for media management/downloads/etc). My networking infra is Edgerouter (ER4P) a Unifi Switch (US-8-60w) and a Secondary TPLink Managed Switch. Everything configured in 2 main VLANs:

1 - VLAN 100 - VM ID 101 (Ubuntu)
2 - VLAN 10 - VM ID 103 (Home Assistant)

At the beginning I was supposing it could be something related to VLAN misconfiguration (because it happens only when I turn VM 101 on, that is in another VLAN.. If I run without tagging any VLAN no issue happens), but I have reviewed the configuration several times and everything seems to be configured ok. I havent noticed any other network related issue on my setup. I also cant find anything logged on Syslog, Dmesg, UNIFI Controller.

I was wondering if that issue can be related to hardware. Started to think about upgrading to another and more updated mini pc (current one is old and not powerful, although when using the 2 VMs I dont notice any struggling) hoping to solve the problem.

So before investing in a new setup, i decided to try one last shot here to get new ideas on how to investigate this issue. Does anyone have any suggestion?

Below are some images with my settings, log messages in case someone can find something I missed.

Thanks a lot!

network settings:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp3s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.10.20/24
        gateway 192.168.10.1
        bridge-ports enp3s0
        bridge-stp on
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094

Issue happened at 12h14. I unplugged and plugged network cable at 12h39:

dmesg syslog.png
neither in unifi controller log
unifi.png

Some strange errors are appearing on the host monitor, but I does not looks related to the network issues:
PXL_20220113_201306106.MP.jpg
PXL_20220113_201430962.jpg

Network settings
unifi-networks.pngunifi-profiles.png

Attachments

• unifi.png
    unifi.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!