pve-firewall status update error: iptables_restore_cmdlist

ixproxmox

Renowned Member
Nov 25, 2015
This is from the syslog - repeated message tons of time (7.4-3).

Is this something I should ignore? I have disabled ipv6 (on os-level) both on the host and on all vms and the suggested fix in the error message seems to indicate the error is related to ipv6 - maybe just a dependency that is broke when I disabled ipv6 using the suggested methods (grub+sysconfig). I depend on the firewall for ipv4 traffic a lot.

The firewall seems to work still as it should for ipv4, but it is always worrying to see errors like this. Recently I had to reboot because the fw had stopped working and let everything through. After reboot, I verified that ipv4 is blocking/accepting as it should again.

20 lines of this every 2-3 minutes:

"pve-firewall[1173] status update error: iptables_restore_cmdlist: Try `ip6tables-restore -h' or 'ip6tables-restore --h"

Last edited:
~# diff /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Firewall.pm.orig /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Firewall.pm.ipv6-disabled
1913c1913
< run_command(['ip6tables-restore', '-T', $table, '-n'], input => $cmdlist, errmsg => "iptables_restore_cmdlist");
---
> #run_command(['ip6tables-restore', '-T', $table, '-n'], input => $cmdlist, errmsg => "iptables_restore_cmdlist");

After making changes reboot or (/usr/sbin/pve-firewall stop;/usr/sbin/pve-firewall start)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!