/pve/etc empty

AlexZhaw

Jan 1, 2020
Blocked myself from access to Proxmox (fool enabling firewall). Restarted server in safe/rescue mode. Can see (I suppose) filesystem, but /etc/pve/ is completely empty. (hosts is ok - have 2 records - localhost and it's own IP xx.xx.xx.xx <name> proxmox). What am I doing wrong?

I have not had to do that sort of thing for a while, but with the normal linux safe modes they give you a ramdisk OS, so if the root drive needs a repair you can do so, try typing mount and see what is mounted, and then you can probably mount your real proxmox under /mnt and change any files you need. (This is just a best guess based on normal linux Safe mode boots)

/etc/pve is a fuse filesystem mounter by pve-cluster service.
So check that pve-cluster is running.

(you also need corosync service working before pve-cluster)
Thanks for idea - but I have no clue where to start. Where can I read about corosync and what is pve-cluster?

/etc/pve is a fuse filesystem mounter by pve-cluster service.
So check that pve-cluster is running.

(you also need corosync service working before pve-cluster)
So i was close, Thanks for giving the full answer,
But then the question is , was this a clustered server, and if not, where are the config files held which i think was the initial question.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!