PVE Cluster with failed node..start vm temporarily from another node

general07

Sep 30, 2022
Dear Folks

i have a scenario with a cluster of 3 x proxmox 7.3.3 (not HA) with activated replication on zfs pools
given that you have 2 failed nodes (temporarily) what is the proper technique to start a VM from the working node ? (just temporarily)

as i undestand from this link -> https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager
firstly i have to set pvecm expected 1 ..i am wondering: is this only temporary command (will not save changes after reboot)?? ,i dont want to destroy my cluster by running this command
i assume after running this command (given that its safe and temporary command) ,i have to mv /etc/pve/nodes/qemu-server/pve01/XXX.conf /etc/pve/qemu-server/WORKING_NODEPVE and i will start the VM from working node storage (replication is working)..
** i tried to cp conf file from /etc/pve/nodes/qemu-server/pve01/ to working node(without running pvecm expected 1 but its read-only (i cannot write ,pobably because cluster is running)

Hi,
I'd really recommend getting one of the two nodes up again to make the cluster quorate. Setting expected votes to 1 should only be used as a last resort (e.g. to remove dead nodes from a cluster if you can't reach quorum otherwise). The filesystem in /etc/pve is shared using corosync, so it needs a quorum to function properly.

well noted and thanks for clarification .. therefore as i understand if i have 2/3 working nodes(or 1/2 nodes) quorum is working and i can move configuration from /etc/pve/nodes/pveXX/qemu-server/ to another working node without the need to stop corosync ..is that correct?
Setting expected votes to 1 should only be used as a last resort --> well understood , BUT please clarify(for curiosity reasons) if by running this command pvecm expected 1 ,the changes will be permanent or will be lost after reboot.

well noted and thanks for clarification .. therefore as i understand if i have 2/3 working nodes(or 1/2 nodes) quorum is working and i can move configuration from /etc/pve/nodes/pveXX/qemu-server/ to another working node without the need to stop corosync ..is that correct?
If you have two nodes, you need both for quorum. Many people use a QDevice for vote support to be able to have quorum even when one node is down.

Setting expected votes to 1 should only be used as a last resort --> well understood , BUT please clarify(for curiosity reasons) if by running this command pvecm expected 1 ,the changes will be permanent or will be lost after reboot.
The number of votes will be reset after reboot. I haven't tested what happens with changes, because again, it should not be done, but what I would guess is:
  • If the other two nodes both come up after the remaining one is shut down, they will overrule the remaining one and changes will be lost.
  • But if one of the two nodes comes up while the remaining one is running, the changes will not be lost.

Reactions: general07

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!