PVE Cluster / Corosync upgrade after installation

lifeboy

Renowned Member
A question regarding upgrading a proxmox cluster and corosync: If I start with a simple setup, ie I don't have a separate NIC and network for the proxmox cluster and ceph, how can I upgrade that later by adding the hardware to the nodes of a cluster?

I mean, /etc/pve/corosync.conf can't be written to by using an editor, so can it be done otherwise? It's readonline once corosync is configured because it's in the pmxfs.

There are references for how one can make pmxfs local, but once it's edited and pmxfs is made non-local again so it replicates over the whole cluster, the old settings come back and the edits are gone.

For example: I have 3 nodes that are not configured yet. I have copied ssh keys on all of them to I can ssh without password from any one to any other. Then I made a mistake on the first node and ran pvecm without specifying the ring address and ring network. The only way to fix this is to reinstall the node. However, after reinstalling the node, I can't join the other nodes to the this first one, since /etc/pve/corosync.conf is readonly. So it seems reinstalling all three nodes is the only option and starting everything from scratch.

From this I wondering now: If I don't have the correct network config completely set up before starting proxmox config, I can't change it later. That means one can't upgrade a cluster's network once you have started it, which I find very strange. What about a scenario where one starts with 2 x bonded 1GB NIC's per node and then upgrades to FC at a later point in time?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!