PVE: ceph storage and pve vm nodes

budy

Jan 31, 2020
Hi,

I am just starting out with Proxmox coming from Oracle VM, which has been EOL'ed. I installed a three node PVE 6.1 cluster with Ceph enabled. However, I do want to keep the Ceph storage nodes free of VMs and I was wondering, if I can just install PVE on another host and have it connect to the Ceph cluster just as a client.
Most of the examples I came across relate more to hyperconverged setups, but this is not, how I want to operate Proxmox in.

My goal is to achieve the following setup:
  • 3 NVMe storage nodes, housing 24 Intel P4600 2T each
  • 12 VM nodes, accessing the storage cluster as Ceph nodes
Thanks,
budy

Sure, why not. Just don't run any Ceph services on those nodes.

Sure, why not. Just don't run any Ceph services on those nodes.

So just for clarification… I'd install the base Ceph components, but don't configure any monitor, mds or mgr to run on any of those PVE nodes, which should just run the guests?

Thanks,
budy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!