PVE and PBS on same bare metal - PVE connecting to Truenas via SMB results in PBS "datastore is not available"

ferrisakl

Mar 14, 2024
As above.
I'm trying to get everything backed up so I can remove the vm's and ct's and then add the server to a cluster.
PVE and PBS have been kept up to date and are running current non-enterprise repos.

Steps taken:
(long time ago)
installed PVE
added ct's and vm's

(very recent / current)
installed PBS on same bare metal following steps in Proxmox user guides... it's literally the same IP but w/ port 8007 vs 8006.
added SMB share to Truenas Scale.
added SMB storage to PVE. Seems to connect perfectly.
firefox_azOniecZL9.png
added storage to PBS (gave it a name and added the path used/shown in PVE)
took forever for it to set up.
now i can't access it in PBS.

firefox_l5DstM7nwY.png

How do I access this from PBS?
Should I be setting up backups from PVE still (as I was before PBS was installed), or do I do backups of vm's and ct's directly from PBS now?

Thanks.

Should I be setting up backups from PVE still (as I was before PBS was installed), or do I do backups of vm's and ct's directly from PBS now?
Backups are done by PVE.

added SMB share to Truenas Scale.
added SMB storage to PVE. Seems to connect perfectly.
firefox_azOniecZL9.png

added storage to PBS (gave it a name and added the path used/shown in PVE)
took forever for it to set up.
now i can't access it in PBS.
UID 34 (the "backup" user) needs write access to that SMB share. So I would mount that SMB share via fstab so you ar able to set the proper UID/GID/permissions options.

PS:
PBS was designed for local SSD storage. Storing your datastore on a SMB share, especially if that SMB server is using HDDs, won't be great...

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!