Hello,
I need some help cleaning up some random leftovers from old, uninstalled kernels, as well as cleanly uninstalling one that I don't want anymore.
I'm using ZFS/systemd-boot on the boot partition, if that matters.
I've only got a couple of 7.0 kernels installed that I'm actively using. A very old version of 6.17 is still installed and available, as well. That's the one I want to get rid of properly.
And it looks like
Proxmox Boot Tool sees things very differently.
At the same time, there's a ton of junk in my
That said, I don't understand how the contents of the
Questions:
I need some help cleaning up some random leftovers from old, uninstalled kernels, as well as cleanly uninstalling one that I don't want anymore.
I'm using ZFS/systemd-boot on the boot partition, if that matters.
I've only got a couple of 7.0 kernels installed that I'm actively using. A very old version of 6.17 is still installed and available, as well. That's the one I want to get rid of properly.
And it looks like
apt's auto remove feature hasn't been cleanly uninstalling the old kernels.
Code:
root@andromeda2:/boot# apt search proxmox-kernel-6 | grep -i "installed"
WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.
proxmox-kernel-6.14/stable,now 6.14.11-9 all [installed,automatic]
proxmox-kernel-6.14.11-9-pve-signed/stable,now 6.14.11-9 amd64 [installed,automatic]
proxmox-kernel-6.17/stable,now 6.17.13-21 amd64 [installed,automatic]
proxmox-kernel-6.17.13-21-pve-signed/stable,now 6.17.13-21 amd64 [installed,automatic]
proxmox-kernel-6.5.13-5-pve/now 6.5.13-5 amd64 [installed,local]
proxmox-kernel-6.5.13-6-pve-signed/now 6.5.13-6 amd64 [installed,local]
proxmox-kernel-6.8/now 6.8.12-13 all [installed,local]
proxmox-kernel-6.8.12-13-pve-signed/now 6.8.12-13 amd64 [installed,local]
proxmox-kernel-6.8.4-2-pve-signed/now 6.8.4-2 amd64 [installed,local]
Proxmox Boot Tool sees things very differently.
Code:
root@andromeda2:~# proxmox-boot-tool kernel list
Manually selected kernels:
None.
Automatically selected kernels:
6.17.13-21-pve
7.0.14-17-pve
7.0.14-19-pve
At the same time, there's a ton of junk in my
/boot directory from kernels that aren't installed anymore (and in some cases, haven't been installed for a very, very long time):
Code:
root@andromeda2:/boot# ls
root@andromeda2:/boot# ls | column
config-6.14.11-9-pve config-7.0.14-17-pve initrd.img-6.5.13-5-pve memtest86+ia32.bin System.map-6.17.13-21-pve System.map-7.0.14-19-pve vmlinuz-6.8.4-2-pve
config-6.17.13-21-pve config-7.0.14-19-pve initrd.img-6.5.13-6-pve memtest86+ia32.efi System.map-6.5.13-5-pve vmlinuz-6.14.11-9-pve vmlinuz-7.0.14-17-pve
config-6.5.13-5-pve efi initrd.img-6.8.12-13-pve memtest86+x64.bin System.map-6.5.13-6-pve vmlinuz-6.17.13-21-pve vmlinuz-7.0.14-19-pve
config-6.5.13-6-pve grub initrd.img-6.8.4-2-pve memtest86+x64.efi System.map-6.8.12-13-pve vmlinuz-6.5.13-5-pve
config-6.8.12-13-pve initrd.img-6.14.11-9-pve initrd.img-7.0.14-17-pve pve System.map-6.8.4-2-pve vmlinuz-6.5.13-6-pve
config-6.8.4-2-pve initrd.img-6.17.13-21-pve initrd.img-7.0.14-19-pve System.map-6.14.11-9-pve System.map-7.0.14-17-pve vmlinuz-6.8.12-13-pve
update-initramfs -u -k is currently throwing a ton of warnings about missing/incomplete kernels that it's unable to build when it's run, which I'm assuming is because of the leftovers in /boot telling it to try to build things that aren't really fully installed or buildable anymore.That said, I don't understand how the contents of the
/boot directory work well enough to just start guessing at what to delete.Questions:
- I want to uninstall all the kernels prior to 7.0 (I'm on PVE 9.2). What's the safest way to do that?
- Is there anywhere else I should be looking for orphan kernel files?