I searched around and checked the documentation, but since this hasn't happened to me before I'm not sure I was looking in the right place. I'm not sure what to do about this.
I have a kernel on my system that seems to have not installed correctly. I would not have caught it, but a DKMS driver I have installed on the system tried to build against it and freaked out.
It's also possible that this is actually an issue with the DKMS driver not being compatible, but I'm not sure how to tell the difference and could use a bit of advice on figuring out what's going on.
I was trying to install an update to the PBS client, and along the way the system attempted to build the DKMS module for 7.0.14-19 and promptly freaked out.
So, it's clearly still trying to clean up/finish the latest kernel install, and rather politely failing thanks to an issue with the DKMS module.
The question I have is if there's a way to tell if this si a problem with the kernel install itself or with the DKMS module being outdated, before I just YOLO installing the latest version of the DKMS driver and hope that fixes it?
Some background:
I have a kernel on my system that seems to have not installed correctly. I would not have caught it, but a DKMS driver I have installed on the system tried to build against it and freaked out.
It's also possible that this is actually an issue with the DKMS driver not being compatible, but I'm not sure how to tell the difference and could use a bit of advice on figuring out what's going on.
I was trying to install an update to the PBS client, and along the way the system attempted to build the DKMS module for 7.0.14-19 and promptly freaked out.
Bash:
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-19-pve-signed.postinst line 20.
dpkg: error processing package proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-19-pve-signed (--configure):
installed proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-19-pve-signed package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2
Setting up proxmox-backup-client (4.2.8-1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of proxmox-kernel-7.0:
proxmox-kernel-7.0 depends on proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-19-pve-signed | proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-19-pve; however:
Package proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-19-pve-signed is not configured yet.
Package proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-19-pve is not installed.
Package proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-19-pve-signed which provides proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-19-pve is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing package proxmox-kernel-7.0 (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for man-db (2.13.1-1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-19-pve-signed
proxmox-kernel-7.0
Error: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
So, it's clearly still trying to clean up/finish the latest kernel install, and rather politely failing thanks to an issue with the DKMS module.
The question I have is if there's a way to tell if this si a problem with the kernel install itself or with the DKMS module being outdated, before I just YOLO installing the latest version of the DKMS driver and hope that fixes it?
Some background:
Bash:
root@andromeda2:~# uname -a
Linux andromeda2 7.0.14-17-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PMX 7.0.14-17 (2026-09-10T10:16Z) x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@andromeda2:~# proxmox-boot-tool kernel list
Manually selected kernels:
None.
Automatically selected kernels:
6.17.13-21-pve
7.0.14-17-pve
7.0.14-19-pve
root@andromeda2:~# pveversion -v | column
proxmox-ve: 9.2.0 (running kernel: 7.0.14-17-pve) libpve-network-perl: 1.6.7
pve-manager: 9.2.20 (running version: 9.2.20/49318c671b82f31e) libpve-notify-perl: 9.1.6
proxmox-kernel-helper: 9.2.0 libpve-rs-perl: 0.15.3
proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-17-pve-signed: 7.0.14-17 libpve-storage-perl: 9.1.11
proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-15-pve-signed: 7.0.14-15 libspice-server1: 0.15.2-1+b1
proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-12-pve-signed: 7.0.14-12 lvm2: 2.03.31-2+pmx1
proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-11-pve-signed: 7.0.14-11 lxc-pve: 7.0.0-2
proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-8-pve-signed: 7.0.14-8 lxcfs: 7.0.0-pve1
proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-4-pve-signed: 7.0.14-4 novnc-pve: 1.7.0-2
proxmox-kernel-6.17: 6.17.13-21 proxmox-backup-client: 4.2.8-1
proxmox-kernel-6.17.13-21-pve-signed: 6.17.13-21 proxmox-backup-file-restore: 4.2.8-1
proxmox-kernel-6.14: 6.14.11-9 proxmox-backup-restore-image: 1.0.0
proxmox-kernel-6.14.11-9-pve-signed: 6.14.11-9 proxmox-enterprise-support-keyring: 1.1
proxmox-kernel-6.8.12-13-pve-signed: 6.8.12-13 proxmox-firewall: 1.2.3
proxmox-kernel-6.8: 6.8.12-13 proxmox-kernel-helper: 9.2.0
proxmox-kernel-6.8.4-2-pve-signed: 6.8.4-2 proxmox-mail-forward: 1.0.3
proxmox-kernel-6.5.13-6-pve-signed: 6.5.13-6 proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.7
proxmox-kernel-6.5.13-5-pve: 6.5.13-5 proxmox-offline-mirror-helper: 0.7.4
ceph-fuse: 19.2.6-pve4 proxmox-widget-toolkit: 5.2.10
corosync: 3.1.10-pve3 pve-cluster: 9.1.6
criu: 4.1.1-1 pve-container: 6.1.14
frr-pythontools: 10.6.1-1+pve3 pve-docs: 9.2.12
ifupdown2: 3.3.0-1+pmx12 pve-edk2-firmware: 4.2026.08-1
intel-microcode: 3.20251111.1~deb13u1 pve-esxi-import-tools: 1.0.1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.5-1 pve-firewall: 6.0.6
libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-7 pve-firmware: 3.18-6
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.7.2 pve-ha-manager: 5.2.5
libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 2.0.3 pve-i18n: 3.10.0
libproxmox-rs-perl: 0.4.1 pve-qemu-kvm: 11.0.3-3
libpve-access-control: 9.1.2 pve-xtermjs: 6.0.0-2
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.4.3 qemu-server: 9.2.10
libpve-cluster-api-perl: 9.1.6 smartmontools: 7.5-pve2
libpve-cluster-perl: 9.1.6 spiceterm: 3.4.2
libpve-common-perl: 9.2.2 swtpm: 0.8.0+pve3
libpve-guest-common-perl: 6.0.5 vncterm: 1.9.2
libpve-http-server-perl: 6.0.5 zfsutils-linux: 2.4.4-pve1
root@andromeda2:~# apt search proxmox-kernel-7.0 | grep -i "installed"
WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.
proxmox-kernel-7.0/stable,now 7.0.14-19 amd64 [installed,automatic]
proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-11-pve-signed/stable,now 7.0.14-11 amd64 [installed,auto-removable]
proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-12-pve-signed/stable,now 7.0.14-12 amd64 [installed,auto-removable]
proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-15-pve-signed/stable,now 7.0.14-15 amd64 [installed,automatic]
proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-17-pve-signed/stable,now 7.0.14-17 amd64 [installed,automatic]
proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-19-pve-signed/stable,now 7.0.14-19 amd64 [installed,automatic]
proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-4-pve-signed/stable,now 7.0.14-4 amd64 [installed,auto-removable]
proxmox-kernel-7.0.14-8-pve-signed/stable,now 7.0.14-8 amd64 [installed,auto-removable]