PVE 8.2 on Dell R420

afede

Jun 19, 2023
Hi,
I tried to install PVE 8.2 on a server Dell R420 with PERC 310 Mini integrated RAID controller. The RAID controller seems to work properly (booting a Ubuntu 22.04 live key shows me the underlying disks exposed by it) but when I boot up the pve installer it sais "No hard disk found".
Jumping into a shell (ctrl+alt+f3) and issuing "fdisk -l" shows me no disks (except the pve live key).
DMESG shows me only this messages:

batou kernel: DMAR: DRHD: handling fault status reg 3
batou kernel: DMAR: [DMA Read] Request device [05:00.0] fault addr fffe0000 [fault reason 06] PTE Read access is not set
batou kernel: DMAR: [DMA Read] Request device [05:00.0] fault addr fffe0000 [fault reason 06] PTE Read access is not set

I gave up installing a 7.4 version (which works correctly!)...

What I want to know you is that upgrading this server from PVE 7 (with kernel 5.x) to PVE 8 (with kernel 6.x) destroyed my working installation.
During the boot phase I can see grub, but when I try to boot the new kernel it says that it doesn't have the root disk.

1724323549564.png

Now my server is running PVE 8 on a 5.x kernel, but what do you think about this story?
Can it be a a bug of the megaraid driver under the newest kernel?

With kernel 6.8 I also had issue with dell server for megaraid driver issue after upgrade with it as default and I workaround it using 6.5 kernel with
Code:
proxmox-boot-tool kernel pin <old-kernel-version>
I have not checked if is solved in latest kernel revision.
For new installation with 8.2 iso that have this kernel as default I don't know an easy/fast way to install older kernel instead, I think is easier/faster use 8.1 iso and after update the system, and if 6.8 still have megaraid issue pin to 6.5

I upgraded yesterday to the latest kernel (proxmox-kernel-6.8.12-1). This one still has this problem.
Temporarily resolved pinning the old kernel with the command you said.

WIth R620 include H710 works fine from 7.x until 8.2.4 with 6.8.12-1 (our R420's are out-of-business yet so I cannot say about them).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!