PVE 8.2 fresh install hangs hard on reboot

linuxturtle

Jul 22, 2024
I've built a hobbyist NAS box from a somewhat unusual motherboard (Erying EY-MoDT SKYLINE ITX with an integrated i9-12900H CPU). I can boot the PVE 8.2 .ISO image fine, and the install is uneventful, but when I reboot, the system hangs hard (only hard power reset will reboot) at the point indicated in the attached monitor photo. I'm installing to NVME media, and have attempted mirrored ZFS root (preferred), and also non-mirrored EXT4 root. In the EXT4 case, it hangs much earlier, unless I select the recovery kernel, in which case, it looks exactly the same. I've done a generic debian 12 install (6.1.0 kernel, btrfs root), and it boots and seems to work fine, so I'm guessing it's something to do with the 6.8.8 kernel, but I haven't a clue how to debug what's going on. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• proxmox-hang-small.jpg
    proxmox-hang-small.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 8
Maybe you can find your work-around an add it to the kernel parameters: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysboot_edit_kernel_cmdline
Thank you. How do I get a boot menu on a zfs root install? One pops up for the ext4 install, but when I install with zfs root, I get no boot menu other than a menu pops up to "boot to firmware" (which just takes me to the BIOS config) or "linux bootloader", which boots the kernel immediately. I've tried holding down <esc> after this menu, but to no avail. I've booted the system with a systemrescue+zfs ISO image, and tried importing and poking around the rpool/ROOT/pve-1 dataset, but can't figure out how to edit and rebuild grub and the initrd from there.

Just press the e key, just like GRUB.
The "e" key lets me edit the boot line, once I'm in the grub2 menu, but I can't get to that menu. Once the BIOS/firmware screen goes away, the kernel starts booting immediately. I did discover that if I install proxmox as a (zfs) mirror on my two NVME SSDs, then install debian on top of one of them, I can select the other one to boot off with the firmware/BIOS, and then it gives me a grub menu. So I guess I'll try fiddling with that.

OK, I've been trying to figure this out for a couple days now, and am over my head I think. I've tried adding every "debug" kernel parameter I could find to the boot line, but still get the identical output on the console (at least the last screenful I can see), I've tried numerous things I've found in other posts (adding the simplefb module to the initrd, nomodeset, pcie_aspm=off, and several other kernel parameters I've forgotten. I tried installing/booting various kernels (using systemrescue+fs, and chrooting into the PVE root). None of the proxmox-6.[5,2,1] kernels will even boot, while the debian 6.1 kernel boots and loads the initrd, but fails to mount the rootfs, since it doesn't have zfs support. I'm not sure where to go next. My understanding is that the initrd's init script is crawling the /usr/lib/modules/... directory loading each module as it goes, so after loading the drivers/md modules (the last one to output anything to the console), it moves on in alphabetical order, and maybe silently fails to load a later module? Any clues how to debug this more would be greatly appreciated!

Hoo-lee crap. For some reason, the 8.2 installer put "rdinit=/vtoy/vtoy" on the kernel boot line, and I was too dumb to figure it out until I looked at /etc/kernel/cmdline on another machine I'd installed with an earlier version and upgraded. Once I removed that and did a proxmox-boot-tool refresh, it boots fine now.

Looks like a Ventoy issue
Yeah, it sure does. Or some combination of how Ventoy does things, and what the PVE installer expects in the boot environment. Wow, it never occurred to me that how I booted the ISO image was even relevant.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!