pve 8.0 and 8.1 hangs on boot

I downloaded and installed 8.1 and got this same issue. I spent far longer than was reasonable trying all of the solutions, but didn't get anywhere. The older iso worked fine.

No amount of simplefb, nomodeset or bios options made any difference.

This was on a Optiplex 7050 SFF PC. Which I realize is not the intended hardware, but I was just poking around. It's all Intel chipsets and network inside.

@Pakillo77 I'm not sure what changed, but I ended up installing again on the same server a few weeks later, and the issues I had initially no longer happened. I was frustrated like crazy, but it's working *great* now. Are you still seeing this issue?
Just updated BIOS, iDRAC and Proxmox on one of the Dell R240 and it boots up ok.
Let's see if it's stable in the next weeks.

Thanks,

Hi guys, I found that if you disable x2APIC in BIOS under processor configuration it works fine with the new kernel. It seems that the problem is related with how the new kernel handles multi threading but because R240 is a one cpu server this option is not needed for me at least.
Thank you! This also resolved the issue for me on a Dell T140 that would not boot after a pve7to8 upgrade and reboot (new kernel).

3rd April 2024. Still same problem. This is not for production. I have removed GPU but onboard, used every possible type of install available. 7.4 - no problem, 8.1 unusable. I'm not sure how developers were able to miss this and more... how they are unable to solve it.

Still same problem.
If it's the same problem then the documented workaround that helped all having this exact problem in this thread will also help you.

If not I recommend opening an enterprise support ticket with Dell's and/or our support, as Dell's HW engineers have full access to their proprietary systems docs and can easily fix such stuff with sending patches to the kernel, and if it's a completely other issue our enterprise support might be able to help to identify what caused it with being able to take an actual closer look as per the subscription agreement.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!