PVE 7.4-17 Memory Always Full

Mulyadi Nukuhaly

Jul 27, 2024
Hi Everyone.

Hopefully you are all well today.

I have a case where the memory utilization on my PVE 7.4-17 is always full (consume arround 95%-96% memory) as in the capture below :
PVE 7.4-17.jpeg

But the memory utilization at the OS level is not full (only consume arround 50% memory) :
Htop OS Level.jpeg

Have you ever experienced abotu this ? Why PVE 7.4-17 consume memory always full and diferent from OS level ?

If so, please give me some guidance to solve the problem.

Thank You.

Best Regards,
Mulyadi Nukuhaly

Hi,
what you are seeing is most likely the zfs arc. The arc is in concept similar to the native file system cache, but due to technical limitations it shows up as normal application memory and is therefor included in Proxmox VEs memory reporting. Htop explicitly subtracts the current size of the arc and displays it as cache instead.
You can look up the current size of the arc with the arcstat command, it's the value under size:
Code:
    time  read  ddread  ddh%  dmread  dmh%  pread  ph%   size      c  avail
09:35:39     0       0     0       0     0      0    0    12G    12G   100G

When more memory is needed by other application, the arc will be reduced, but there might be circumstances where the memory is needed faster than it's needed, in that case you can tweak the arc settings [0].

On a different note, you should definitely update your systems while you are at it. Proxmox VE 7 will reach its end of life in just a couple of days, after that there is no guarantee for security updates and similar [1].

[0] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS_on_Linux#sysadmin_zfs_limit_memory_usage
[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-ve-support-lifecycle.35755/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!