PVE 7.1 Cant login for web gui

ricardowec

Dec 16, 2020
Hello
This is a four node cluster (all paid licenses) pve,pve1,pve2,pve3

I migrated all nodes from 7.0.11 to 7.1.1

After a couple of days of running fine, suddenly I needed to login from pve and found i was rejected with "Login Failed, please try again", then I tried from the other nodes with same results. SSH connection worked fine in all nodes.

So after doing whatever has been written in the forums from past builds I decided to do a fresh install in pve1 and pve2 and the problem was solved in these nodes, but pve and pve3 kept rejecting.

so.. my cluster is a mess, 7.1 killed whatever I had on them,,,

Regards

Confirmed, one day after the update 7.0 >> 7.1 all web logins with @pam users fail. No matter if they use U2F or not.
The shell login (ssh) is still working though. /var/log/pveproxy/access.log has no useful info for debugging.

Any ideas how to debug this?

I just looked at the web UI of our system again. I still cant login into the Web UI after the upgrade from 7.0 to 7.1. Only the ssh logins are still operational.

The logs show nothing (/var/log/pveproxy/access.log). I have no idea how to fix this and all web UI users are affected. I tested with enabled firewall (which is the default in the production system,) and also with disabled firewall, there is no change at all. Feels like a major bug in 7.1!

can you post your journal/syslog during a failed login? as well as your /etc/pve/domains.cfg ?
Feels like a major bug in 7.1!
not a general one since for most users it seems to work...

I had a similiar problem with a 2 node cluster I wanted to create. After creating the cluster and waiting for a while, login via gui was not possible on the second node while I was still able to connect via SSH. I unfortunately dont have any logs anymore, I reinstalled and will create the cluster on customer-site with access to the external quorum device.

Oh I see in my case it seems Im facing this because of: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3739
So if all nodes are up, why cant we login to the nodes? or am I missing something?

Last edited:
The PVE at https://tokoeka.netzwissen.de is a single node, so, I have no /etc/pve/domains.cfg
journalctl -fu pveproxy.service shows nothing interesting, but

root@tokoeka /etc/pve # journalctl -fu pvedaemon.service

-- Journal begins at Sat 2021-06-12 04:23:15 CEST. -- Nov 25 23:36:07 tokoeka pvedaemon[678304]: authentication failure; rhost=::ffff:87.154.165.78 user=root2@pam@pam msg=no such user ('root2@pam@pam') Nov 25 23:37:36 tokoeka pvedaemon[678306]: authentication failure; rhost=::ffff:87.154.165.78 user=root2@pam@pam msg=no such user ('root2@pam@pam') Nov 25 23:37:58 tokoeka pvedaemon[678305]: authentication failure; rhost=::ffff:87.154.165.78 user=root@pam@pam msg=no such user ('root@pam@pam')

Hm, very strange, why "[username]@pam@pam" with two times @pam@pam ? The "pveum user list" shows them instead as

Code:
root2@pam
root@pam
thommie@pam

??

did you enter 'root@pam' in the username field? if yes, that is not correct, only root and select the correct realm..

if not, how exactly is your login configured (u2f/webauth/.. ?)

ok, that was the problem obviously.

The login data (username and PW) for the web access come from a connected keepass database. There we had [username@pam] for all logins. This worked without problems up to PVE 7.0. Looks like the behaviour of PVE 7.1 is different at this point. You need to enter the plain username without @pam, then the the login works as before.

Thommie

Last edited:
hi,

a colleague and I tested various versions (6.4, 7.0, 7.1, etc.) and it behaved always like this
maybe you are confusing it with pmg? because in pmg, there is no realm selector...

i have the same problem, when i have 2 node pve6 & pve7 and join cluster,
after 1 day all can't login using root as usual...
why is it like this? the version I use is proxmox ve 7.1-7 for all nodes

is it because running a cluster with 2 nodes makes logging into the gui a problem?

Or the cluster is only required to have at least 3 nodes to avoid errors/failures

i have the same problem, when i have 2 node pve6 & pve7 and join cluster,
after 1 day all can't login using root as usual...
why is it like this? the version I use is proxmox ve 7.1-7 for all nodes

is it because running a cluster with 2 nodes makes logging into the gui a problem?

Or the cluster is only required to have at least 3 nodes to avoid errors/failures
please open a new thread with your issue, since the problem of this thread was solved with not adding the realm to the username...

saya selesai masalahnya ketika 3 node langsung di join dalam 1 cluster atau lebih dari 3.. kmrn error karena baru 2 pve
ooh gitu mas..
kalo saya gini
saya punya dua server proxmox1 dan proxmox2.
lalu saya buat cluster, proxmox1 sebagai server utama. setelah join cluster berhasil. saya tidak bisa login GUI proxmox1 and proxmox2.

ooh gitu mas..
kalo saya gini
saya punya dua server proxmox1 dan proxmox2.
lalu saya buat cluster, proxmox1 sebagai server utama. setelah join cluster berhasil. saya tidak bisa login GUI proxmox1 and proxmox2.
ya memang.. karena syaratnya itu harus 3 node dalam 1 cluster... selama itu tidak terpenuhi pasti akan begitu terus..
alhasil beberapa hari kmrn nyoba dan begitu gabung proxmox1,2,3 langsung selesai semua permasalahannya

ya memang.. karena syaratnya itu harus 3 node dalam 1 cluster... selama itu tidak terpenuhi pasti akan begitu terus..
alhasil beberapa hari kmrn nyoba dan begitu gabung proxmox1,2,3 langsung selesai semua permasalahannya
oh begitu.. oke baik coba saya gabung 1 proxmox lagi. terima kasih mas..

please write your posts in english, otherwise other may not be able to help you...

Reactions: proxmoxusergwm

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!