PVE 6.x Installed on Dell T320 with ZFS RAID1 hangs during boot

boguo

Apr 10, 2020
Hi community!

I recently purchased a Dell PE T320 with PERC H310 flashed in IT mode. Today I managed to install PVE6.2.1 with ZFS RAID1, without any incident; however the system hangs with the last few lines like

random: systemd-udevd: uninitialized urandom read (16 bytes read)
random: 5 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting

I was hoping the boot failure would send me to the grub rescue mode. Is there a way to interrupt the booting into the command prompt?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Bo

Hi,

is this a Proxmox VE installation from the ISO?
The problem here is you have no entropy and service does not come up.
This problem is not grub related.

Yes, I was using the freshly made 6.2.1 ISO on a USB. Prior to the halt, I could see failure of "zpool import -N rpool". I was hoping I could do a manual import and continue at the command prompt.

Can you send the complete error output?

Thanks, Wolfgan! I could not get to the command prompt to access the logs. Here however was the last screen when the boot failed. Immediately prior to this last screen, there was the zpool import failure. Selection_999(251).png
Selection_999(251).png

Hi,

I would also try to install the latest updetes from Dell for your server (bios, firmware and so on)

Good luck / Bafta !

This boot looks like the system is waiting.
ZFS gets very fast an timeout if it can't not mount.

Is this the first boot?
Does the Server has Network connectivity?

If it is the first boot the problem could be the certificate generation of SSL, SSH, ....

This boot looks like the system is waiting.
ZFS gets very fast an timeout if it can't not mount.

Is this the first boot?
Does the Server has Network connectivity?

If it is the first boot the problem could be the certificate generation of SSL, SSH, ....
Wofgang, yes, the server has network connectivity. I do not quite understand what you mean by "first boot." This issue started after the seeming flawless installation. Thanks!

@wolfgang and @guletz, I upgraded the bios to a 2019 released but the issue remained.

So I reinstalled PVE 6.2.1 in the debug mode which gave the command prompt after the install. I was able to manually import the the zfs pool. Thought it could be a timing issues, I modified the grub configure to add "rootdelay=10". But the problem was that I could not "update-grub." It was giving me the following error.

Code:
update-grub failed to get canonical path of `none'

Last edited:
You have to bind-mount the required directories to get update group working.
But the output that you have shown me is from the system.
Grub has finished at this stage and the data come from the rpool.

But what you can check is the syslog. There should you see the boot process error.
Boot the install iso in debug mode and cancel the installation then mount the rpool and have a look to <rpoolmountpoint>/var/log/syslog

You have to bind-mount the required directories to get update group working.
But the output that you have shown me is from the system.
Grub has finished at this stage and the data come from the rpool.

But what you can check is the syslog. There should you see the boot process error.
Boot the install iso in debug mode and cancel the installation then mount the rpool and have a look to <rpoolmountpoint>/var/log/syslog
I followed your instruction but did not see the syslog unfortunately. So I gave up and installed PVE on PERC's hardware raid instead of zfs raid, which was un-eventful. Thanks for the help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!