PVE 6.3 SSL issues

Leah96xxx

Feb 4, 2021
Is there any way to create an SSL certificate without having to purchase a domain?

I want to install one since Chrome refuses to trust the certificate that PVE 6.3 generates on install. In most cases I wouldn't care too much about not having a valid certificate but in this case it is preventing me from operating the webUI correctly. I can't use the shell at all, and every few minutes Chrome will forget that I clicked "proceed" on the SSL warning, causing the webUI to lose its connection to the server. I tried installing the certificate to Trusted Root Certificate Authorities in Windows, however it doesn't appear in the list. (Note: The certificate does appear in mmc, but not in the certificate viewer.)

These issues only occurred after upgrading to PVE 6.3 with a clean installation. They did not happen on 6.2.

I also tried creating a self-signed certificate with openssl but pveproxy fails to load the key regardless of how the key is made.

I do not want nor need a domain as the server will never be accessed outside the LAN. The one I used during installation was made up just to progress the installation. On top of that, my LAN sits behind NAT since my internet is shared with the entire building via a master router that I cannot access (I have my own router to isolate myself from the building), meaning that I couldn't set up a domain even if I wanted to.

Last edited:
This issue doesn't really sound like typical behavior for a browser. Are you sure that you haven't configured chrome to automatically delete browsing data after closing the browser? Or maybe you have some plugin installed that's causing it?

Chrome is set to keep data and I've already tried disabling all extensions.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!