PVE 6.0: Can't Upload Large ISO

flightdeckrob

Oct 23, 2019
Hi,

I've been using Proxmox for a while and for the most part it's an awesome system with very few issues.

Lately when I went to upload a Windows Server ISO (4.4Gb...) it comes up with an "Error 0" on upload. Smaller ISOs (0.5-1.5Gb) upload just fine. On the larger ISO the transfer will progress from 0% to anywhere between 50 and 75% before it just stops. The network activity on my desktop shows that the transfer just stops completely. It goes from fully using the 1G connection to nothing. I uploaded the same file when I first set up the servers and it worked just fine.

Server specs if it mattes:
Dual processor Xeons on Supermicro X9 boards
10 HDD raidZ 10
2 SSD mirrored SLOG
2 SSD DOMs for mirrored ZFS UEFI boot
1 10G network for guests
1 10G connection for migration
1 1G connection for cluster

Syslog shows the following immediately after I cancel the job and the web GUI is unresponsive for a bit as well.

Nov 14 09:00:16 pve2 pmxcfs[2893]: [status] notice: received log
Nov 14 09:00:16 pve2 pmxcfs[2893]: [status] notice: RRDC update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve1/NASBackup2: -1
Nov 14 09:00:16 pve2 pmxcfs[2893]: [status] notice: RRDC update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve1/vmpool-iso: -1
Nov 14 09:00:16 pve2 pmxcfs[2893]: [status] notice: RRDC update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve1/vmpool: -1
Nov 14 09:00:16 pve2 pmxcfs[2893]: [status] notice: RRDC update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve1/local: -1
Nov 14 09:00:16 pve2 pmxcfs[2893]: [status] notice: RRDC update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve1/local-zfs: -1

Are there other logs I can look at to find the cause of this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

do you have enough space in /var/tmp ?

Thanks for the quick reply!

My DOM boot drives are 64GB drives with 900MB in use. There should be plenty of space in any folders on them.

I could use SSH but it's just so much easier to use the GUI and it seems to work just fine for smaller files so I'm just wondering why it doesn't work for bigger files.

Also, I'm not 100% familiar with where I should transfer the files to through SSH.

After my googling yesterday, I found the following path is expected:

/var/lib/vz/template/iso

There is a link to some common paths that I can dig up if you want:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage:_Directory

SSH is nice because you can just batch upload a bunch of ISOs at once. Having SSH access to your server available is a nice to have anyway.

Old, but also:

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/how-to-transfer-large-iso-to-proxmox.455/

There might still be web server limitations, so maybe they fixed this particular issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! I have SSH access, the gui was just really convenient.

The crazy part about all of this is that I installed Windows Server (the giant 4.4Gb ISO) by uploading it to the Proxmox host through the GUI. I broke some stuff trying to get Certificates set up and had to reload 1 of my hosts and now I can't upload that same file anymore. If it hadn't worked the first time I would be a lot less confused about it.

Thanks again,

Rob

Reactions: CanadaGuy
Thanks for your help! I have SSH access, the gui was just really convenient.

The crazy part about all of this is that I installed Windows Server (the giant 4.4Gb ISO) by uploading it to the Proxmox host through the GUI. I broke some stuff trying to get Certificates set up and had to reload 1 of my hosts and now I can't upload that same file anymore. If it hadn't worked the first time I would be a lot less confused about it.

Thanks again,

Rob
i had the same problem. Solution: use Ftp to upload the iso.

In my case the host (strong gaming pc which had never any problems with network) from which I am uploading the ISO to proxmox server. starts getting high latency and loosing pings few seconds after the uploading of ISO starts. After another few seconds the host does completely loose the access to network and I have to stop the transfer. Then the connectivity is back without any action from my side. Tried winscp, same problem, but if I limit the transfer speed to 1Mb, I am able to finish the upload, it just takes long time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!