PVE 5.0 on a DELL Poweredge C1100 - RAID

stefanzman

Renowned Member
Jan 12, 2013
USA - Kansas City
www.ice-sys.com
Hello,

Trying to install on PVE 5.0 on a DELL Poweredge C1100, and it does not appear to be detecting the hardware raid array correctly. While it does see that 4 disks, they are detected individually - even though a valid RAID10 array is defined and operational.

Base on the RAID BIOS config, it shows Intel Matrix Storage Mgr 8.9.1. See screenshot below:

20170816_173810.png

During installation, the available targets list all 4 disks (not a single volume):

20170816_174555.png

After setup, the software is loaded on the first disk:

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 10.14.20 PM.png

Then the array is in a degraded state with that disk excluded.

Is there any way to get PVE 5.x to see the full RAID array and not break it? I suppose I could use the ZFS RAID 10 option of PVE, but I am thinking the hardware RAID would be much faster.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Stefan

Last edited:
AFAICS you have a "fake" (or software-) raid which is not supported by linux and not the same as a "real" hardware raid. it depends on the os to have the correct drivers (mostly windows only) to correctly use the raid

Yes. I think you may be correct. According to Wikipedia:

Matrix RAID is a computer storage technology marketed by Intel. It is a firmware, rather than hardware or software, RAID system.

It if is firmware, they that is just "software RAID" built into the chipset. They go on to say:

Linux supports Matrix RAID through device mapper (DM-RAID) for RAID 0, 1 and 10, and Linux MD RAID for RAID 0, 1, 10, and 5.

So, I guess my question would be should I try to load this driver separately to use the ZFS RAID option built-in to PVE 5.0?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!