PVE 5.0: "Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered, aborting..." message

Pablo Alcaraz

Jul 6, 2017
Hello

I installed Debian 9.0 and over it I installed PVE 5.0 and I got this error message.

[ 13.355869] AVX version of gcm_enc/dec engaged.
[ 13.355870] AES CTR mode by8 optimization enabled
[ 13.376150] Error: Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered, aborting...​

Before that message it seems pcspkr is executed correctly.

[ 12.949739] iscsi: registered transport (iser)
[ 13.232995] shpchp: Standard Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version: 0.4
[ 13.233909] input: PC Speaker as /devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input4​

I removed the error message by editing the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.confwith root privileges and adding the following line:

blacklist pcspkr

I rebooted and it seems to work.

No sure if this is some error related to the installer process. The error was not there before. I report it just in case.

Other than that, it seems to work OK. At least the UI is loading.

Hi,

I installed Debian 9.0 and over it I installed PVE 5.0 and I got this error message.

[ 13.355869] AVX version of gcm_enc/dec engaged.
[ 13.355870] AES CTR mode by8 optimization enabled
[ 13.376150] Error: Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered, aborting...

Before that message it seems pcspkr is executed correctly.

[ 12.949739] iscsi: registered transport (iser)
[ 13.232995] shpchp: Standard Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version: 0.4
[ 13.233909] input: PC Speaker as /devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input4

this is "normal", and happens also on a system installed from the Proxmox VE ISO.
It isn't harmful at all, what happens is that the 'pcspkr' module is baked into our kernel directly already and someone else wants to load it, now as its already loaded this messages get printed out.

I removed the error message by editing the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.confwith root privileges and adding the following line:

blacklist pcspkr

I rebooted and it seems to work.

This is a valid solution to get the message away without causing any regression.

No sure if this is some error related to the installer process. The error was not there before. I report it just in case.

Thanks for reporting, appreciated, better to be sure :)

Other than that, it seems to work OK. At least the UI is loading.

Yes, this should have no effect on any functionality. AFAIK, they main reason why this was not already addressed is that it causes no harm and would possibly need a lot of digging to solve correctly for no "real" improvement.

Reactions: Pablo Alcaraz
Hello !

I have the same problem at each reboot of my server. And I need to boot on Debian Live CD to editing the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf with root privileges and adding the line.

How can I stop this problem to reboot properly ?

Thanks

hi,

I have the same problem at each reboot of my server.

If its excactly the same "problem" as described by the thread starter, i.e. the already loaded pcspkr module does not get loaded again - rightfully so - then this can be disregarded:

this is "normal", and happens also on a system installed from the Proxmox VE ISO.
It isn't harmful at all, what happens is that the 'pcspkr' module is baked into our kernel directly already and someone else wants to load it, now as its already loaded this messages get printed out.

And I need to boot on Debian Live CD to editing the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf with root privileges and adding the line.

Are you sure that you added it to the installed system, i.e. by mounting its root partition somewhere? Else you only write it to the live CDs temporary root, which is then gone on the next boot.
You should not need a Live CD at all, just boot into Proxmox VE and do:

Code:
 # echo "blacklist pcspkr" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-pcspkr.conf

as root.

Reactions: Homer
Hi,

Thanks for your reply !

It seems to be better, but I have some other problem. The start of my server it's not perfect, now it blocks with this message :

2017-09-02_12h50_37.png

Do you have an idea ?

What CPU and motherboard do you have?
I suspect a desktop Intel CPU with integrated graphics, from the "drm:... [i915]" output. Maybe Skylake?

If it's really skylake it may be a known bug from its chipset [1]
Try to look if your motherboard vendor has firmware updates available for your model, and it could make sense to install the "intel-microcode" package on the system.
This normally fixes the issue, if you use a respectable HW vendor which provides updates.

Else we can try to disable the problematic ACPI GPE...

[1] https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105491#c20

Edit: and please open a new thread the next time, this is really not related to the pcspkr module topic anymore :)

hi all what is pcspkr exactly, it is also showing on my screen when I try to boot up proxmox.

It's in charge of the often built in "beeper", a small, nowadays piezoelectric based, speaker built directly into most motherboards.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_speaker

It can only do relatively simple sounds, and by default you hear it after the POST (Power On Self Test) completed, on some graver errors or if some program outputs a "\a" (bell) command and it is enabled.
"pcspkr" is the Linux Kernel Module managing that device. The error here is a meta error, i.e., it complains that pcspkr is already loaded when trying to load pcspkr, and can be safely ignored.

Hi All,

Can you tell me Proxmox is supporting HP LTO-8 external tape drives or not, if supported is it possible to mount it as a local drive to centos7 VM and take backup

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!