PVE 2.3 - Web Interface Working Locally, Not Externally

DaveYoung

New Member
Aug 2, 2013
6
0
1
Denver, CO USA
Hi all. I installed Proxmox 2.3 some about a year ago and have been very happy with the result! I have two VPSs installed and 100% functioning.

My problem is for the first time I had a need to do a full backup of one of the VPSs via the web interface but discovered that I cannot access the web interface from outside the local LAN. I have had no problem connecting from the local LAN at any point.

There are 2 NICs in the server hosting Proxmox. Eth0 is configured as a bridge and has the external IP .85, Eth1 is configured as standalone and has a static internal IP. I have no problem reaching either of the two VPSs from outside the local LAN via the external IP addresses (.83 & .84) on any port (after configuring IPTables on each).

I have done nothing with the configuration manually.

I am clearly not a Debian expert by any means!

Content of /proc/version:
Linux version 2.6.32-18-pve (root@maui) (gcc version 4.4.5 (Debian 4.4.5-8) ) #1 SMP Mon Jan 21 12:09:05 CET 2013​

Content of the /etc/network/interfaces (IPs hidden but correct):
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback


auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address ##.##.##.85
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway ##.##.##.##
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0


auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.3.241
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.3.1
​

Note: the host name resolves locally to the external IP and I can ping the external IP from outside the LAN

Output of pveversion -v:
pve-manager/2.3/ad9c5c05
root@vps:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 2.3-12 (pve-manager/2.3/ad9c5c05)
running kernel: 2.6.32-18-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.3-88
pve-kernel-2.6.32-18-pve: 2.6.32-88
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.4-4
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.93-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.9-1
pve-cluster: 1.0-36
qemu-server: 2.3-17
pve-firmware: 1.0-21
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-48
libpve-access-control: 1.0-26
libpve-storage-perl: 2.3-6
vncterm: 1.0-3
vzctl: 4.0-1pve2
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.4-6
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1
​

Output of ipables --list:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination


Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination


Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
​
 
tcpdump is showing no connection attempt from the IP addy my device outside the local subnet is on. This "feels" like a firewall issue except for the fact that through the same interface I can, from outside the subnet, access bridged IPs in the two VPSs on that box.
 
Update: In an effort to simplify the situation I decided to remove the 2nd NIC from the configuartion (eth1) which has a static ip on the local subnet and lo and behold I can now access the web interface (and ssh) the FQDN from outside the local net. I have no idea how that 2nd NIC config is affecting the eth0/bridge though.