Put LXC Conatiner interface in promiscuous mode?

mattlach

Renowned Member
Mar 23, 2016
Boston, MA
Hey all, I am trying to run ntopng in an LXC container, but no matter how I try

My setup

router -> Switch -> everything else.

Using the switch I have mirrored the port connected to the router to another port. I ahve connected an Ethernet cable to this port, and connected ti to a dedicated NIC port on my server.

The intent is that ntopng is to run inside an LXC container and listen to this interface and collect statistics.

I have tried set host interface, bridge and interface in container all to promiscuous mode but I still can not get ntopng to hear anything on the interface.

I was thinking maybe since I'm using a dedicated NIC for this, I could just use the "phys" network type, and treat the interface as if it were physically attached to the container, but "phys" does not appear to be supported in Proxmox currently.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I might accomplish this?

Thanks,
Matt

Answered in the other thread where you asked this question: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/l...ment-for-lxc-containers-in-proxmox-4-0.23068/

Please try to not cross-/double-post - we try to answer questions in the forum as soon and well as possible, but the more duplicates we have to wade through the less time and resources there are for answering actual posts.

My apologies.

When I first posted both of these I saw them as different topics, one where I was chiming in specifically recarding phys interface mode, and the other where I was looking for more specific guidance on promiscuous mode and LXC containers. Re-reading my posts I realize they were a lot closer than originally intended. You have my apologies.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!