Pseudo high availability?

object88

Apr 4, 2023
To open, let me be super transparent: I am very new to home labs, and I am relatively new to infrastructure. Professionally, I work with Kubernetes clusters running in AWS, so I'm using tools that configure a lot of things for me "for free". I now find myself in possession of a Supermicro rack with enough oomph to look like a small handful of decent EC2 instances, if it's parted out as VMs.

I have no delusions that what I am about to ask for is, in _any_ way, real high availability. I am 100% cognizant that using a single node construes a single point of failure, and clearly, a massive one at that. But, I don't care! This is about me learning, and if it all burns down because I trip over a power cord or delete the wrong file, I'll built it back again from git. I am not running and workload that can't be broken.

So, _pseudo_ HA. I would to have the ability to kill off a VM and have Proxmox automagically bring a new one up in its place. The idea is that I want 3 VMs to act as "master" nodes in a kubernetes cluster, and N more to act as "worker" nodes, and then I want to be able to tear down nodes and learn a little about disaster recovery in the k8s world.

The brief reading that I've done with HA proxmox (which would appear to give me what I'd like, above) states that one needs 3+ nodes, fencing., etc. That's not going to happen for me. Is that documentation there to warn me off from doing some stupid, or are there locks in the Proxmox software itself that will prevent me from setting up HA VMs w/ my limited setup?

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!