Prxomox, cluster, HA and fibre channel storage

Topoldo

Aug 31, 2018
Hi all.
I have 2 "big" servers (HP 560DL) connected via fibre channel (FC) to an HP MSA 2040 controller with an array of disks. So I needed to configure the array of disks using LVM which is apparently the only way one can use with FC.
I correctly configured the storage which is seen perfectly by the two servers which I put in cluster.
Then I tried to add to the cluster a 3rd server (quite less powerful) just to have the "quorum" in order to get HA.
This server however doesn't see the FC storage.
My question: is it possible to create an HA with 3 server this kind of architecture or not because of the impossibility to "share" LVM storage unless it is on the top of iSCSI?
Beside, in my case, can I try to use this kind of share ie LVM on top of iSCSI?
If so how can I do? Is there any "howto/recipe" to do this?
I'm a newbie in this field and I'm sorry if I said something wrong or if I am querying for something which is impossible to do.

TIA
Topoldo

My question: is it possible to create an HA with 3 server this kind of architecture or not
This is possible. Of course you need to keep in mind that all Guests on the FC-LVM can only run on the 2 nodes which actually see the storage (you need to configure your HA setup in such a way that those guests only run there).

It's best to restrict the nodes which have the storage in the '/etc/pve/storage.cfg' - e.g.:
Code:
lvm: myvg
        vgname myvg
        content images,rootdir
        nodes pve-02,pve-01
        shared 1
(if your nodes with the FC-LVM are called pve-01 and pve-02)

because of the impossibility to "share" LVM storage unless it is on the top of iSCSI?
These 2 things are independent in PVE - a storage is considered shared by PVE if you set the 'shared' attribute to '1'. It is your responsibility to ensure that it is available on all (configured) nodes if you mark it as shared.
The documentation mentions iSCSI+LVM, because this is the case we see most often with our users.

I'm a newbie in this field and I'm sorry if I said something wrong or if I am querying for something which is impossible to do.
Check out the reference documentation https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html
especially the part about HA and Storage - those things are explained quite well there.

Hope this helps!

You wrote:

> It's best to restrict the nodes which have the storage in the '/etc/pve/storage.cfg' - e.g.:
> lvm: myvg
> vgname myvg
> content images,rootdir
> nodes pve-02,pve-01
> shared 1
>
> (if your nodes with the FC-LVM are called pve-01 and pve-02)

Many thanks. This is exactly what I need. My /etc/pve/storage.cfg was created with defaults.and it was lacking the:
> nodes pve-02,pve-01
statement.
Now I added it and everything seems to be ok.
Thanks again!
Topoldo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!