Proxomox Backups - Clever Solutions

vdobes

May 21, 2020
Hi,

I need some advice or hint, how to do backups on Proxmox smarter or more efficiently.
Actually our situation is like that:

We have one big blade server, where is running Proxmox Virtual Environment 6.1-8
We perform backup classically through the Proxmox Backup/Restore functions.

We have data of all VMs mounted through NFS on network storage location, lets called it Stor1 and the backups data mounted through NFS on another network storage location, lets called it Back1

So everytime we force the backup or doing daily backup from Stor1, the data must flow through the blade server and then to Back1.
Actaully in these days, the backup is very demanding on performance.

Can I get some user experience information, how do you handle backups more efficiently?
The best way will be to backup data from Stor1 to Back1 directly by disk to disk, not through blade servers "pipes".

Thanks for you responses.

Last edited:
Hello :)

what backend systems are Stor1 and Back1? :)

i got one synology and a freenas server at home

here is my setup

proxmox 2 ssd's in raid 1 for proxmox 256 GB

synology shares out a iscsi target of 4 TB to proxmox who has it mounted

freenas has a nfs share that takes the backups from proxmox.

synology do a lun backup to freenas. its always good to have more backups :p

freenas do a off-site backup to my personal OneDrive :)

The best way will be to backup data from Stor1 to Back1 directly by disk to disk, not through blade servers "pipes".

Are both storages outside of the blade? Is there a storage technology e.g. snapshots and replication to backup the data to another datacenter? There exist solutions for this, but it is heavily dependend on the backend storage type and technology. Every "expensive" SAN has replication and fault tolerance (thats higher then high availability). Maybe you can look into that end.

Hey ho,

we have also the same problem/question.

In this post I wrote down some experinces with NFS and Backup: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/miserable-backup-speeds.70296/

Our Plan will be to get a hardware server with internal SSD Storage. So for Backups we would like to store Backups on the local SSD Drives and make a rsync every night to an external Backup-Server.
-> But we haven't make some practice yet.

Maybe other one have some experiences.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!