ProxmoxVE install disk only works once

addamm1

Nov 5, 2019
So I have an interesting problem. I have a Dell r620, which has an SD card reader, and I would love to keep an SD card in there with a ProxmoxVE installer on it. The problem I am having is that whenever I install Proxmox once, then try to do so again at a later date, booting to the SD card just boots to the version on the server I installed before. I am pretty sure I am not accidentally corrupting the image because I tried installing ProxmoxVE, then rebooting and trying to do it again before ever booting the new installation. The reason I want this is so if I ever break my Proxmox installation beyond repair, I will just have an installer just waiting to be used inside the server already. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

And you're sure you do not use the SD card as installation target, or the like?

Can you try to pull down the image from the SDcard after such a installation and verify it (md5sum or loop-mounting the ISO image to see if it still looks like the original ISO?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!