ProxmoxVE arrives on MAAS

Is it possible to use MAAS to deploy new Proxmox nodes? I have MAAS running, and really like its ability to keep track of hardware.
I've not been able to get MAAS 3.0 to upload my ESXi 7.0 image yet, but I got it built. Is there a tutorial for building/uploading a Proxmox image so I can deploy Proxmox nodes?

Is it possible to use MAAS to deploy new Proxmox nodes? I have MAAS running, and really like its ability to keep track of hardware.
I've not been able to get MAAS 3.0 to upload my ESXi 7.0 image yet, but I got it built. Is there a tutorial for building/uploading a Proxmox image so I can deploy Proxmox nodes?
No, it's still not possible to create proxmox nodes. This is a compatibility issue of the Debian network with the Curtin networks of ubuntu.
But MAAS allows to create, manage, deploy vms on Proxmox and authentication with Tokens very well.

Attachments

• Network-Curtin.png
    Network-Curtin.png
    266 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20210913_083224.png
    Screenshot_20210913_083224.png
    167.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20210913_083326.png
    Screenshot_20210913_083326.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 99
I was able to deploy Unbuntu images, then wipe them and boot off of an ISO via IPMI, to give me Proxmox nodes on my MAAS managed hardware. MAAS still thinks they are Ubuntu, but at least they are deployed/tracked.
I had to setup everything manually of course.

Not ideal, but at least I didn't have to remove nodes from MAAS to use them.

MAAS really needs to be able to support "other" deployments where it simply marks the node deployed, and gets out of the way. Not being able to do so makes it hard to go MAAS-only on all hardware.

Last edited:
I was able to deploy Unbuntu images, then wipe them and boot off of an ISO via IPMI, to give me Proxmox nodes on my MAAS managed hardware. MAAS still thinks they are Ubuntu, but at least they are deployed/tracked.
I had to setup everything manually of course.

Not ideal, but at least I didn't have to remove nodes from MAAS to use them.

MAAS really needs to be able to support "other" deployments where it simply marks the node deployed, and gets out of the way. Not being able to do so makes it hard to go MAAS-only on all hardware.
Bonjour,
I've been making the point to the Canonical team for a while. But still no solution, we must already modify Centos with Rocky-Linux (Alma-Linux). I have seen recently with the arrival of a new developer (Christian Grabowski) a lot of new things in this direction. I think fixing the incompatibility with the CURTIN module is a bit of a drag.

Reactions: Zephrant
Hi sorry to necrobump a bit, but what you describe is essentially duplicating what terraform does and slightly worse at that. Does anyone have an update on whether there is a tool to automatically provision Proxmox?

Hi sorry to necrobump a bit, but what you describe is essentially duplicating what terraform does and slightly worse at that. Does anyone have an update on whether there is a tool to automatically provision Proxmox?
MAAS can do it. Just add your pve iso with Packer as it is done with vmware, rocky-linux...
https://github.com/canonical/packer-maas

Attachments

• Capture d’écran du 2023-06-07 13-14-15.png
    Capture d’écran du 2023-06-07 13-14-15.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 58

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!