Proxmoxs storageinstall

nemke

May 26, 2024
Hello
New to this, I have HP server an I like to intall Proxmox.
HP server have 6 SAS drives, so every have 1,2TB.

So my question which way is better.

1. To have 2 SAS drives on raid1 (mirror) like array1 on which install just Proxmox OS. So if any of this 2 SAS driver "failes" I replace it, not lusing running system.
And other 4 Sas driver to put on raid 5, (like Array2) so I can use them for VM creation.

or

2. To put all 6 Sas drives in raid5 (array1) and to install Proxmox and VM on that.

P.S. For me, it is enough to have protection of ONE Sas drive fail.
And, also I have TrueNAS on on other server so I will do externall backup.

Which ver (1 or 2) is better and secure and sacalable for my usage ?
Thanks

SSDs or HDDs? Usually you would create:
3.) 2 disk mirror for the OS + 4 disk striped mirror for guests
4.) 6 disk stirped mirror for OS as well as guests

Especially when IOPS performance is important, like when using slow HDDs.

All Driver are SAS 2,5', HP. All are the same
ModelEG001200JWJNQ
Media TypeHDD

So in this scenario what solution is best ?

So 10K HDDs. Won't be fast, no matter what you do, but 6 disk striped mirror (raid10) would be your fastest option without buying some enterprise/datacenter SSDs ;)

Yes, enterprise/datacenter SSD with 1,2TB and more are expensive. And I don't need for my usage.

So, to put all 6 SAS drives in RAID10 (array1) and to install Proxmox on that, and also all needed VMs on same.
And if ANY of this 6 driver fail, I can replace it with new, and not losing anything ? RAID10 gives protection for 1 disk fail + speed.

Sorry
But If I buy two SAS SSD with 800GB, and put them in mirror (Raid1) like array1. Then install Proxmox OS on that...
And 6 SAS HDD that I have put, in Raid10 like array2and use that for VMs.

Is this better solution ?

So, to put all 6 SAS drives in RAID10 (array1) and to install Proxmox on that, and also all needed VMs on same.
And if ANY of this 6 driver fail, I can replace it with new, and not losing anything ? RAID10 gives protection for 1 disk fail + speed.
Yes

Sorry
But If I buy two SAS SSD with 800GB, and put them in mirror (Raid1) like array1. Then install Proxmox OS on that...
And 6 SAS HDD that I have put, in Raid10 like array2and use that for VMs.

Is this better solution ?
VM storage needs IOPS performance, not the PVE OS disks. HDDs got like 100-200 IOPS. SSDs some ten thousands to a few million IOPS. If you want to replace the HDDs, then for the VM storage.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!