Proxmox5.2 does not use all local space by default

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by Dale Sykora, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Dale Sykora

Dale Sykora New Member
    Proxmox VE Subscriber

Hello,
    I have a 2 node/2 socket subscription cluster that I am moving from Proxmox4.4 to Proxmox5.2 as 4.4 is EOL Each node has a 4TB disk and I have some shared NFS storage. I moved all VMs to node 2, removed node 1 from cluster and installed 5.2 on node 1. However, the local storage of node 1 now only has 100GB. lvdisplay shows a 3.5TB volume named data, but this is not automatically added to local for use. Comparing nodes, I noticed that node 2 mounts /dev/mapper/pve-data to /var/lib/vz but node 1 does not.
    Did the 5.2 installer ignore the data volume because it might contain useful data? If so, I will reinstall and after zeroing the disk. If it normal to leave the unneeded disk area unused, then what is the preferred way to use it? Should I just add the mount to fstab like node 2 or something else?

Thanks,
    Dale.Sykora@shschool.org

2. dietmar

dietmar Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

We now use lvm-thin by default, and the corresponding storage is called local-lvm.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dale Sykora

Dale Sykora New Member
    Proxmox VE Subscriber

Thanks Dietmar! I did not see local-lvm listed as a storage option on the host. Only saw local (100GB) and some NFS shared storage that I use. I am going to rebuild the host again and check for local-lvm before I add it to the old cluster. I will let you know what I discover.
    Thanks,
    Dale

4. dietmar

dietmar Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

Note: Storage config on the new node gets overwritten when you add the new node to an old cluster ....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Dale Sykora

Dale Sykora New Member
    Proxmox VE Subscriber

OK, that makes sense. Would it be possible to move all guests to node B, remove that node from the cluster, build new node A and new cluster, and then add node B to new cluster? If so, then node A should retain local-lvm, right?

6. Dale Sykora

Dale Sykora New Member
    Proxmox VE Subscriber

I suppose another option would be to move all guests to node B and move them to shared NFS storage, remove node A from cluster, rebuild node A as standalone server with same shared storage as old cluster, power down guests on node B, power up guests on node A server, then poweroff and rebuild node B, then create new cluster. Thoughts?

7. Dale Sykora

Dale Sykora New Member
    Proxmox VE Subscriber

I was able to use all the local space by building a new 5.2 Proxmox server with the same shared storage as the old 4.4 server. Then I backed up guests on the old server to shared storage. Then I powered off the guest and restored from backup on the new server. Once I verified the guests worked, I deleted the old server and rebuilt with 5.2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice