Proxmox ZFS over ISCSI and TrueNAS

Donner

Aug 22, 2021
Hi! Is it possible today? I found some video in youtube where guys used it, but no instructions how it should work exactly. Is it from the box, just add keys for ssh and go? What and how should i share, disks, entire zvol or zpool?

Hi,

Can you precise your question ?

Mounting a iSCSI targe in CLi on your proxmox host and use it has ZFS member work. But for my case, i'm only in tests for this type of configuration

I am talking about this feature Screenshot_1.png

It should provide access to remote zfs pool by iscsi and some control by ssh comands, i found already this topic, but it seems to be out of date. Github repo from TheGrandWazoo is alive, and somebody even wrote that its works fine in proxmox 7, so i'am looking for someone who tested it.
Even more, new truenas "scale" use debian, so maybe there is no reason to use Wazzo patch now, cos debian uses LIO, thats in proxmox iscsi provider list from the box?

Last edited:
Reactions: AaShiyana
I just tried that guide and it worked.
Code:
pve-manager/7.1-7/df5740ad (running kernel: 5.13.19-2-pve)
TrueNAS-12.0-U8
View attachment 34536
View attachment 34537
View attachment 34538
View attachment 34539
I am using TrueNAS Scale and installed the https://github.com/TheGrandWazoo/freenas-proxmox on my PVE 7.2.7 install and while "it seems" to work you can't delete disks created via the workflow:
1659849074331.png

I don't know if there's a fix but certainly not truly working out of the box, at least not for TrueNAS Scale (debian).

I am using TrueNAS Scale and installed the https://github.com/TheGrandWazoo/freenas-proxmox on my PVE 7.2.7 install and while "it seems" to work you can't delete disks created via the workflow:
View attachment 39738

I don't know if there's a fix but certainly not truly working out of the box, at least not for TrueNAS Scale (debian).
I have TrueNas Core and it worked out of the box for me. I did not make any changes other than those specified in the guide. I can create/remove/take snapshots/move disks from/to iSCSI target without issues.
Looks like the error is thrown at this line:
https://github.com/proxmox/pve-storage/blob/master/PVE/Storage/LunCmd/Iet.pm#L109
You can try mess around with the script at this line and see what is the command and why is failing.
I'm looking on my TrueNAS server and I also don't have this config file:
Bash:
root@truenas[~]# ls /etc/iet/ietd.conf
ls: /etc/iet/ietd.conf: No such file or directory
root@truenas[~]
Maybe is not supposed to reach that part of the code anyway, but for some reason in your case it does. I don't know.

View attachment 39738

Oh, did you select FreeNAS-API as iSCSI provider when you created the storage? I think you have selected IET, and that's why is running that script.
1659894583759.png

Reactions: Giovanni
Oh, did you select FreeNAS-API as iSCSI provider when you created the storage? I think you have selected IET, and that's why is running that script.
View attachment 39750
Ok it looks like my web browser had an old javascript cache because that option wasn't there until I cleared cache and re-loaded. Reconfigured everything now with the API option and it seems to be working! Thanks for the protip.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!