Proxmox ZFS Management

TSAN

Jan 31, 2024
For years I've used VMware ESXi + HW Raid or VSAN, typically with Dell Openmanage / iDRAC to manage HDDs. Well...Broadcom happened.

I'm trying to completely wrap my head around JBOD / HBA ZFS before I even consider using it.
Like fully understanding SCSI IDs locations, disk serial numbers, /dev/sd#, /dev/by-id + all ZFS pool assigned IDs. Want 100% disk documentation when creating host.
Installed lsscsi tool to get IDs matched to /dev/sd# (I'm also hoping to find a backplane hdd blink function - haven't looked into if you know - must integrate into server IPMI?)

Reading about ZFS /dev/disk/by-id is more ideal to use than /dev/sd#.
Per wiki - https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS_on_Linux , it says "device" which does work with /dev/sd#

I'm wanting to create ZFS pool + remove/import disks with /dev/disk/by-id

The only /dev/disk/by-id - is the IDE CD-rom. No disks by-id. Why are disks not shown here? Rules / symbolic link issue?

Are the /dev/disk/by-id missing because this is a ESXi nesting Proxmox VM? Proxmox VMs are using VMware Paravirtual disk controller.
VM has 6 disks total. 2 are ZFS mirror default rpool. Other 4 disks I'm playing with ZFS raidz1 + 2 vdev mirror.

---

Other thoughts as I'm learning ZFS. IMO too many fragmented tools to piece together storage picture.
fdisk -l
lsblk
blkid
lsscsi -v
zpool status
zfs list
more and more...
Where is the simple Debian / Proxmox / ZFS function to get a disk's SCSI ID location + disk serial # + /dev/disk/by-id + /dev/sd# + /dev/sd# partitions all in one command?
HW RAID management feels easier but perhaps because its what I've known.

Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!