Proxmox workflow? Bugzilla reporting, etc.

esi_y

Renowned Member
Nov 29, 2023
github.com
I do not want to post this under some specific report, so putting it here in case anyone expresses interest in the same.

There's basically no documentation on the workflows Proxmox adhere to when it comes to CI/CD, I learned the parts over time, e.g. how to find which sources my current package was built from [1], when submitted applied patches appear in test and then no-subscription (no definitive answer on that) or even how to take on BZ reporting [2] - there's just a link there.

Then I end up in funny conversations why I am bumping year old reports or status ping ponging or notifications spamming with linking related bugs instead of discussing the subject matter (no need to linking all that).

As for Bugzilla, my understanding always was, I file something I think I found, ideally provide reproducer, explain what I expected instead and be clear about severity & impact at the least in the initial report.

Every time I found another piece of information (even related bug), I felt welcome to append to the report - after all it's the same when more people add themselves to Cc. I never considered it a problem to e.g. post 3 comments in a row, especially if they were logically unrelated.

I also got used to the fact that when bug gets an ASSIGNEE, it means it is currently being worked on, so I am free to start clarifying more and/or move over to the developer's mailing list. Until then, I may at best continue making a case for it with additional information. Something low priority cannot disturb anyone, updates can be looked at cumulatively, not reactively.

I always expected BZ report to change status somehow as a sign it is being looked into. Proxmox does not seem to be using UNCOFIRMED -> CONFIRMED, etc. so all starts as NEW. And it is this part that I find completely strange, that if I file something and it has no reaction for months, was it seen by anyone? Is it a question of time when it is going to be looked at or was it completely disregarded?

Nobody else has any issue with this being completely undocumented, i.e. how to report bugs?

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/d...n-come-with-deb-src.153431/page-2#post-698028
[2] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation#Bugtracker_(bugzilla)

A showcase scenario would be e.g. #5243 pve-ha-crm does not disable watchdog despite empty HA config - filed 2/2024.

Is it critical? No. Should I bump it up? Let it sit there? Then I see staff still advising users that golden rule is no HA resources = no fencing possible, at all times. I understand it's a regression, I understand it's not going to kill anyone, but my humble estimate is that this is not terrible effort to fix.

And if it was, reflect in the docs of behaviour to be aware of. I just do not know where to update these things without riling up anyone.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!