Proxmox won't install on SSD connected to Avago 9341-4i card

garasmell

Aug 4, 2022
I'm trying to install Proxmox 7.2-1 on a SATA SSD connected to a Avago/LSI MegaRAID SAS 9341-4i RAID controller card. The controller has the drive as JBOD, but at the console it stalls for about 8 minutes, eventually says the error message below multiple times before continuing to boot, then when it gets to the GUI I get the "No Hard Disk found!" error. I tried creating a RAID0 array and got the same error. Any idea why this is happening and how to resolve it?

Code:
megaraid_sas xxxxxxxxx DCMD(opcode: 0x2010100) is timed out, func:megasas_issue_blocked_cmd

P.S. - I also flashed the latest firmware, same error/issue.

Try to boot/install vanilla Bullseye and then Proxmox as package on it:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Why would Proxmox be installed this way?

As I continued to troubleshoot, I did put the SSD on an on-board SATA slot and Proxmox saw the SSD and installed successfully. I put the SSD back on the RAID controller and again the megaraid errors occur in the console. Back on on-broad SATA ports and again Proxmox boots and runs just fine. I prefer the SSD on the RAID controller as I'll be doing a lot of testing between ESXi and Proxmox and hot swapping drives (ESXi installs and runs with no errors behind the RAID controller). Any idea why Proxmox is having issues with the 9341-4i controller?

@garasmell , did you find any solution for this problem? I to have a 9341 card, and the installer does not recognize it.

@spirit I've tried 7.1 iso. still no luck

EDIT
I have a X10SDV-TLN4F motherboard. If I booted the installationmedia on non uefi, the installation found my drives. So for me the solution was to enter bios, "Advanced -> PCIe/PCI/PnP Configuration", and change the PCI-E slot to only accept EFI. Then boot on 7.1 iso.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!