Proxmox won't boot, pop up asking for disk password?

Nhoague

Renowned Member
Sep 29, 2012
Colorado, USA
Hey all,

So this morning a client server running Proxmox wouldn't boot. I had him connect a monitor and on the screen we see "Enter user password." These are Micron 5300 SSD running in ZFS RAIDZ1. The server suffered a power failure this weekend, but then this? After quite a bit of research all I can come up with is these drives are locked after a "secure erase" operation. How could these drives, all 4 of them, become securely erased and with a password? Does anyone have any idea what might have happened? Thankfully we do have Proxmox backups of our VMs but I am perplexed as to what even happened!

I booted up in an Ubuntu live and ran the Micron utility. It shows all disks have been securely locked, and are empty?! I hope that empty means "not readable," instead of actually empty.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 27
  • MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 29
Has this client of yours recently fired a sysadmin or a high school intern? Did he piss off someone by taking away parking close to the building? Didnt pay a Christmas bonus?
Or, perhaps, suffered a breach?

Clearly, this is not something Debian or PVE would do, even after power loss.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Man we reviewed all security cameras on the DVR, alarm access, physical access is just not in the cards. IPMI is disabled in the BIOS. The only remote access to port 22 is from my office by IP, of which also was not accessed. But even then, would something like hdparm allow a operation on a server with mounted disks?

This is the MOST preplexing thing I've ever dealt with!

I like all your scenarios though! Unfortunately I did not get a Christmas bonus hahahah

I agree, power loss wouldn't do this.

Resorted to purchasing 4 new SSD and currently restoring the VM from proxmox backup. Oh well. I am out of ideas.

Happy New Year!

I would reach out to Micron for support they may be able to suggest something. The erase/password would be set via Micron utility and if someone did it from inside the PVE itself, all the evidence is on the encrypted disk, if any is left.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...12gb-password-locked-can-i-unlock-it.3573440/

I believe the tool does not care about disk being used/mounted, as long as one has root access.
good luck and happy new year.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!