Proxmox with Two router

kondorpa

Aug 29, 2022
Hi,

I have two router setup at home from two different ISPs.
One has private IP rage of 172.16.100.1/24 and another one is having 10.10.10.1/24.
I normally switch between two connections (whenever one is not working or down etc.) in my other devices.
How can I setup proxmox to switch between these two connections whenever required? Now I have set up proxmox to run on 172.16.100.3 IP.

Hey,

I assume you have two interfaces on your pve. You could make a bond in active-backup-mode[1] out of those. For that to work both routers should have the same network. With a setup like that you could also make PVE(a VM on it) your router, so you wouldn't have to do anything on your devices and the bond takes care of using the router that works.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysadmin_network_configuration

You could make a bond in active-backup-mode[1] out of those. For that to work both routers should have the same network. With a setup like that you could also make PVE(a VM on it) your router, so you wouldn't have to do anything on your devices and the bond takes care of using the router that works.

Hi,

This will work, only if one ruter will have "link down", but it could also the case whe both routers will have link up, but only one could forward traffic to Internet.

Good luck /Bafta !

Reactions: Hannes Laimer
.... A better solution:

Use a script on each of yours PMX nodes:

- create 2 static routes, one to your ISP-A(primary) and the other to ISP-B(secondary)

route add -host 8.8.8.8 gw ISP-A_IP
route add -host 8.8.4.4. gw ISP-B_IP

- test both destinations(8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) with ICMP (1 test / 5 min )
- if the test on primary is failed, then change your default GW on ISP B
- when you are using ISP B, and test on ISP-A is OK, then change the default gw to ISP-A

Notes:

- you could also use a more enhanced test, like testing 2 different IPs for each ISP, and IF both tests failed then you could be
very sure the Internet is down.
- you could use monit for such kind of tests

Good luck / Bafta !

Reactions: Hannes Laimer
can either or both of those isp routers be put into bridge mode? You could research and use something like OPNsense/pfSense/VyOS to manage that 2 isp gateway switching for you transparently. The software could be run as a Proxmox vm or on separate hardware. Then both Proxmox and the rest of your physical home network devices can take advantage of gateway switching without the need to physically swap cables.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!