proxmox with synology HA

chchang

Feb 6, 2018
I build a lab with 2 serves and 2 synology NAS(ds 415+ with Synology HA )
synology HA has already be configured and works.
and I make a nfs sharing from nas to proxmox . add storage in proxmox then create a VM on NFS storage.

when the nas cluster runs with one nas crashed . the nfs sharing will become as read only , which sounds reasonable.
but when the nas cluster back into normal state, the VM will stay in read-only state. at the same time , I can read/write in proxmox node.
and then I must reboot the VM to get back into normal state.

I did open a synology support ticket , they said since your proxmox can write data in NFS sharing folder after the NAS HA failover , then the failover is working as expected.
why VM needs reboot is not their problem .

so , is there anybody can confirm that proxmox with synology HA (or even with other HA storages ) , VM needs to be rebooted after HA cluster state changed ??

Hi,

I don't know how Synology's HA works but I guess they use a failover IP?
With this technic, there can be problems with the takeover.
Because the client is not aware of losing information at the server.
Generall you should use NFS 4.1 with multipath if you what to have a working takeover.

yes , synology HA use a virtual IP to connect.
I will try NFS 4.1 , thanks !

thanks to @wolfgang , I remove the nfs storage and mount again with specified NFS version 4.1 , then run the same procedure again , and now I can read/write in VM without rebooting !

Hi @chchang ,
I am interested in your setup.
Can you explain a little bit ? What did you do on synology and proxmox side ?

2 Synology DS415+ , build synology HA with their apps , connect nas to each other via eth2 (direct connect) and connect each nas to switch with proxmox node with eth1 .
after SHA config completed , make a nfs share folder in nas admin console.
mount the nfs share folder in proxmox admin GUI , with specified NFS version 4.1.
and now you are running proxmox + Storage HA .

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!