Proxmox with pfsense VM

ale1981

Jun 26, 2014
I am having problems setting up a VM as the default gateway, here is my setup so far...

The host has 2 NIC setup, one of them on the LAN and the other is plugged in to my ISP router. I then setup a VM for pfSense and gave it 2 NICs, vmbr0 LAN 192.168.10.1 and vmbr1 WAN 192.168.1.100, this is connected directly to my router (192.168.1.254).

I can access the internet from clients on my network when setting the default gw as 192.168.10.1 but the proxmox host can't connect to the internet.

I am also having problems with NAT on incoming ports from the internet, if I try to access an internal client from the internet the connection just times out, i have disabled the firewall on the router and set the pfSense VM as the DMZ.

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet manual

iface eth2 inet manual

iface eth3 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  192.168.10.30
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        gateway  192.168.10.1
        bridge_ports eth0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge_ports eth1
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

Hi ale,
I'm not sure if it's the reason for your problem. But you should try to switch both NICs that vmbr0 is your "wan" interface. I hab some problems in the past, when i did my setup like you did. Not sure if i did mistakes in my config or if proxmox host only tries vmbr0 as wan interface.

One more thing is, i tried to setup pfsense on proxmox 3.x and at first it worked fine. When i testet a bit more i got some problems with the speed. It's not important for most people but the maximum i got was around 500mbit/s down and 500mbit/s up. I'm working with gbit fibre so i tried the exact same setup (just exported the pfsense config) on a physical machine and got my gbit (or at least 950mbit/s in both directions).
I tested a few different network settings on my proxmox host but couldn't fix the problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!