Proxmox with PBS in VM

Dec 2, 2018
I have a small Proxmox cluster, and I installed a PBS in VM with HDD passthru (---virtio1=/dev/disk/by-id/....).
I thought it would be good for me, because if something goes wrong, i just reinstall the full Proxmox cluster, then create a VM and give them the hdd and it's done and start the recovery.

I thought so until the first reboot. (Proxmox PVE reboot, not PBX reboot)

Even if the boot HDD is set in the BIOS, booting will stop because there are more then one "rpool"exists.

Any idea to resolve this case?

If I remove the HotSwap HDD with PBS Disk, then yes, the PVE boots fine.
I dont plan that scenario when install the PVE and PBS same machine, because if then Node has hardware error (motherboard etc), then I just remove the PBS HDD and put it the other Node.

Unfortunately, I realized today that the situation is even worse, if there is any ZFS disk in the PVE hardware, it won’t even boot.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!